Tina Brooks "Minor Move"....

sal

After reading about it on AAJ, I checked the new True Blue catalog, and its true..."Minor Move" is on the "supplies are limited/OOP" list. Pick this one up while you still can...its hot!

Sorry if this has been discussed already.

Speaking of Tina Brooks, I've been contemplating getting "Back to the Tracks" and "The Waiting Game". Can anyone share their opinions on either or both of these? Are they as good as "Minor Move"? Thanks!

No need to be apologetic, catesta. Your opinion is very valuable.

I sure agree with you, too.

The track "Street Singer", on "Back To The Tracks", is in a special world of its own, and, of course, comes from a different session from the other (quintet) tracks. It is a masterpiece. So let's consider the other four tracks, with the quintet. It would have been good if they had succeeded in getting a good take of "David the King" that day; then, an album that focused on that session alone could have been issued. The session has a superb, calm, mellow vibe, and the group is very together. There's nothing that knocks you flat to the floor; it's just a great feel and groove - the same could be said of "Silver's Serenade". You could not buy the feel of this session with money, and it could never be created again. After I play just the first track (the title track), I immediately want to play it again.

Sal, you will really like the album. I have the TOCJ CD and also the U.S. one, and they both sound good.

I think Back to the Tracks is my favorite Tina Brooks date.

I agree with catesta on this one. Back to the Tracks is my favorite Tina Brooks as well so far. I was a little disappointed in The Waiting Game but I think it was because my expectations were so high after purchasing the other two. I keep waiting for True Blue to come out as an RVG. I refuse to pay the out of sight prices for that one and will be contented to wait.( Hope you are listening Bluenote! :angry::angry:

I would not hesitate to get both of these. They are really outstanding.

Actually, my favorite Tina Brooks is True Blue, but I agree---you should not hesitate to snag Back to the Tracks and Waiting Game. If you're anything like me, the longer you have'em, the more you'll like'em. Brooks just reveals more depths and riches with the passage of time. Absolutely essential.

Speaking of Tina Brooks, I've been contemplating getting "Back to the Tracks" and "The Waiting Game". Can anyone share their opinions on either or both of these? Are they as good as "Minor Move"? Thanks!

Actually, "minor Move" is my least preferred of the three! I would definitely pick up the other two as well.

Actually, "minor Move" is my least preferred of the three! I would definitely pick up the other two as well.

Yeah, for me, Minor Move has a lot of promise but does not really deliver. BttT, (OTOH) is everything that Minor Move is not. Haven't heard Waiting Game, so I cannot vouch, but True Blue is wonderful and well worth what I paid for it (Paid $26 for the Conn, unopened), but Minor Move is also worth every cent I paid for it. Luckily I found it REAL cheap. Sorry lads! ;)

I would also say get this one. 'True Blue' is my favourite - a landmark Blue Note hard bop session, magical. 'Back to the Tracks' is not far off, with 'Minor Move' a bit behind. Not quite as interesting in the arrangements as the other two but still very much worth having. On vinyl, the Mosaic Brooks set is indispensible..

Without a doubt, the Mosaic Brooks LP set is indispensable, but it's WAY out of print. If you find it for reasonable $, get it, but with all four CD re-issues you needn't worry. That's why you MUST get Back to the Tracks and Waiting Game!!

...And don't forget Open Sesame, Hubbard's first album; almost like having an extra Tina Brooks album! Not only does Brooks play on it, but it features two Brooks' originals that aren't on any of his albums-as-a-leader. Yeah! :tup

I had the Mosaic at one time, and from listening to it repeatedly it was readily apparent that Brooks was an incredibly soulful player that could hold his own with many of the giants on tenor.

I would actually discourage single disc purchases of his output and push you towards the Mosaic as it's sound was beautiful to me. Either way, you can't wrong though. Tina Brooks is slick!

It's a real nagging question. Tina's neglect by Al Lion (although he was clearly Brooks only champion in the industry) and the jazz community. Brooks is simply one of my favorite tenor players, his compositions are wonderful, ect.

The Blue Note albums are all wonderful. Minor Move being the most flawed I guess, but why the others were'nt issued is a constant question.

Edited by Soul Stream

I've wondered about this myself. Maybe it's just that Lion had so many things on the burner at once that Brooks got a bit lost in the shuffle. He wouldn't be the only one, though he may well be my favorite "neglected" Blue Note artist. Also, there are rumors that he was increasingly beset by drug addiction as well. But whatever, I think he was one of the all-time greats. There are times that I like him more than Mobley (no flaming, please!) and I love Mobley.

TEE NAH! NAH NAH NAH NAH

NAH NAH NAH

NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH

TEE NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH

NAH NAH NAH NAH!

BUY THEM ALL!

P.S. I've happily owned the Mosaic for years.

TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH! TEE NAH!

Another lucky owner of the Mosaic! :g

(Found one two or three years ago, not too expansive. Is that discography inside really including ALL there is from TEE NAH!?)

The Hubbard is a real good one. Then the stuff he made with Kenny Burrell, and also don't forget the Freddie Redd date and all the stuff he made with Jimmy Smith!

ubu