Acrobat Music Releases Live Miles Davis Sextet Recordings

Lazaro Vega

A package of CD arrived yesterday from Acrobat Music including the Miles Davis Sextet in various versions broadcasting from Birdland, The Spotlight in Washington D.C. and The Cafe Bohemia. The info isn't up at the web site yet. But this one was part of the package, too: Brubeck live at Basin Street, NYC, and The Blue Note in Chicago: http://www.acrobatmusic.net/?cid=5&AlbumId=535

Also, is this different than the Jazz Band 58-59 broadcasts disc? Looks like could be or could have some cross over.

EDIT: answered my own question. It's four tracks from the Prestige Quartet box and the rest are on the Jazz Band disc, including the "What Is This Thing Called Love" that has nothing to do with Miles or his groups of the time.

Edited by Captain Wrong

Also, is this different than the Jazz Band 58-59 broadcasts disc? Looks like could be or could have some cross over.

EDIT: answered my own question. It's four tracks from the Prestige Quartet box and the rest are on the Jazz Band disc, including the "What Is This Thing Called Love" that has nothing to do with Miles or his groups of the time.

What "Prestige Quartet Box" is that? And what four tracks are they?

And "What Is..." is from an Art ford show jam session, with Miles, Cannonball, & Red garland taking part, so there is some connection.

I think the Captain is Right. Peter Losin doesn't list this item in his Miles Davis discography. I've read before that it's Nat Adderley and not Miles, and that Cannonball isn't present, but look what I found in the Gerry Mulligan Discography by Gérard Dugelay and Kenneth Hallqvist published in March 2008:

ALL STARS

Art Farmer (tp), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Gigi Gryce (as), Gerry Mulligan (bars), Jimmy Jones (p),

Kenny Burrell (g), Bill Crow (b), Elvin Jones (dm), Candido Canero (cgs) - remaining musicians

unknown

Art Ford Jazz Party TV Show, Newark, New Jersey, November 27, 1958

What Is This Thing Called Love?

(12:03) Jazz Band EB-418,EBCD 2101-2

Notes: This date was earlier titled Miles Davis All Stars, but the trumpet player is not

Miles Davis, but Art Farmer. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to identify the

other musicians. Miles Davis is mentioned at the end of the title in an

advertisment for a concert held November 29 at ’The Mosque Theatre’ in Newark

Ee-gads, guys: thanks for the info. In the Acrobat release the personnel is listed as, "Miles Davis, trumpet; Nat Adderley, clarinet; Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, alto sax; Bennie Green, trombone; Gerry Mulligan, baritone sax; William "Red" Garland, piano; Barry Miles, drums; Chris Nirobe, percussion; Candido, percussion." (Those italics were added).