Obi strips on Japanese records

peterintoronto

How do handle obi's on Japanese LPs?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tear mine off and throw them out. Not the paper inserts though - there is often important personnel and discographical information on those!

I don't plan on re-selling my jazz LPs anytime soon, so I don't care if destroying the obi decreases the value of the record. Plus, I don't read Japanese anyway!

The obi on Tommy Flanagan's 'Lonely Town' was so big, it almost took up half the cover.

Edited by peterintoronto

I tear mine off and throw them out. Not the paper inserts though - there is often important personnel and discographical information on those!

I don't plan on re-selling my jazz LPs anytime soon, so I don't care if destroying the obi decreases the value of the record. Plus, I don't read Japanese anyway!

100% :tup:tup

I've never been able to figure out what this silly Obi strip collecting fetichism is all about. Those darn things get in your way, they were only left on the records sold in our hemisphere because the jap pressings were in shrinkwrap (with the Obis inside) anyhow, and whatever they say refers to Japanese marketing on their home market only and was obsolete by the time you bought the records anyhow. So what then??

I only kept a scant few Obis that included thumbnail miniature images of other covers from the same series, just for the sake of documenting those images. But largely they went into the bin.

As for missing Obis decreasing the value of a record in the minds of some, sorry, but this is SICK!

Wow, it even has an wikipedia entry (thanks, Chas). People collect these things?

I thought maybe it was one of those annoying strips of plastic glued over the tops of CDs so you can't open them easily. They don't do that in France, it's only US imports. God, how I hate those things.

I know we've discussed this elsewhere, but the easiest way I've found to remove these is to unhinge the bottom of the jewel case and peel them off that way- they come off much easier. Also, I use Goo-Gone to remove any adhesive residue (not sure if that is available over there).

• 3 weeks later...