Teddy Charles

bertrand

I wandered into Fat Cat with my guitar on Saturday. Ari Roland, a bassist, asked me to play the first set with him. Teddy, who was staying with Ari and was to be featured at Smalls that night, wandered in right after me. That impromptu group also included Don Hahn on trumpet/flugel, (great player) and a young tenor player whose name I wish I remember because he was good.

The old man sounded great, just like the old records, but leaving more space. He has vitality and ideas to spare. You could sort of hear his brain. The little I spoke with him on break I found him very approachable and humble and having a great time just jamming with the cats.

Someone told me he was 84. I should be so lucky......

I went to the Y last night and it was wonderful. Chris Byars and company did a great job bringing those charts to life again. Excellent players and treatment of difficult material on little rehearsal and Teddy sounded great. It's a rare privilege to hear stuff live like Gil's arrangement on "You Go to My Head", Teddy's "The Emperor", "Nature Boy", and "Green Blues", Mal Waldron's "Vibrations", Brook's "Showtime----especially since I had the CDs (RCA Jazz Arrangers Workshop and Teddy Charles Tentet.

Chris is a hell of a musician, as is John Mosca, and they cared enough to put this together, did a bang-up job,---and it was free. Naturally I took it and ran like a thief.....

I wandered into Fat Cat with my guitar on Saturday. Ari Roland, a bassist, asked me to play the first set with him. Teddy, who was staying with Ari and was to be featured at Smalls that night, wandered in right after me. That impromptu group also included Don Hahn on trumpet/flugel, (great player) and a young tenor player whose name I wish I remember because he was good.

The old man sounded great, just like the old records, but leaving more space. He has vitality and ideas to spare. You could sort of hear his brain. The little I spoke with him on break I found him very approachable and humble and having a great time just jamming with the cats.

Someone told me he was 84. I should be so lucky......

Wow. That's pretty sweet!

Glad you went - Chris is one of those unheralded guys who really has respect for the music.

Did you catch Noal Cohen's lecture?

Bertrand.

The band was at least 50% old friends, which made it all the nicer.

I caught the end of Cohen's talk. (Actually a lot of talking went on b/c the guitarist was late and Chris was stalling like a MF. He can talk at length, but meaningfully I think). The little bit I heard seemed well meant and researched. I wanted to talk to Noal, b/c we have a mutual friend and I also admired his Web history of the Rochester, NY jazz scene---from whence came our friend, Ron Carter, the Mangiones, and Cohen himself. Also had something else to broach. I Decided to leave him his space though and hopefully will catch up with him later.

Again, it was a great free event and I believe was recorded. Who knows......

Wow. That's pretty sweet!

Actually, I find I was wrong regarding Teddy's age: he's only a kid of 80. ;) I wanted to to mention again Don Hahn. I think he played with, and was loved by Maynard for years. I heard about him years ago through a mutual friend but only heard him a few years ago. He's a great, mature lyrical bebop trumpet/flugeler and we had a nice rappoire, I thought. No piano, so there was a lot of room for counterpoint while-you-wait and generally. Catch him if you can in NY. He plays with Ari every week at Fat Cat.

Music is great. You can become old friends with someone in 5 minutes on the stand if you listen and know the material.

I think Teddy is out of sand and will do more things. Chris Byars was definitely a catylist. I hope to play with Charles again and expect I will.

Yay octagenarians!