Grant Green reissue question

wesbed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just discovered impending release date on a label called 'Groove Hut', Baby Face twofer of Behind the Eight Ball' and 'Mo-Rock' as well as another twofer listed as Grant Green 'Organ Trio' and 'Quartet'.....Heart rate went up when I seen that one....but it's a Re-issue of Sam Lazar's Space Flight with....guess what.."Iron City'. Wonder if their new transfers from masters. Will the re-credit Patton to Young on this one?

Just discovered impending release date on a label called 'Groove Hut', Baby Face twofer of Behind the Eight Ball' and 'Mo-Rock' as well as another twofer listed as Grant Green 'Organ Trio' and 'Quartet'.....Heart rate went up when I seen that one....but it's a Re-issue of Sam Lazar's Space Flight with....guess what.."Iron City'. Wonder if their new transfers from masters. Will the re-credit Patton to Young on this one?

Never heard of the Groove Hut label. Are they legit? Combining an Argo (now Universal) with one originally on Cobblestone (now Nippon Columbia) sounds very odd from a licensing point of view.

MG

The Sam Lazar is a pretty good date and not easy to find. LPs go for a pretty high price, so I'd be interested in this just for that session ... even though I would prefer if it were the Grant Green/Gene Harris BN session instead.

I think that MG is correct, too, that this is an odd combination to be a legitimately licensed reissue. Unless Groove Hut is located in Andorra. :rolleyes:

which one of u said u never warmed up to solid? solid is like the greatest thing ever. Ever

Not me. Solid happens to be one of my favorite Grant Green albums.

Same. Everybody talks about Grant & (insert name here), but What about Grant & Elvin, huh? For somebody like Grant whose phrasing was all about the rhythm, you gotta look at Elvin.

Add my voice to the list. I'm not the biggest fan of GG, but "Solid" is GREAT. I wish he would have recorded more sessions with this format.

When in doubt, go for the Blue Note Japaneses "KING" Vinyl of this session,

although they will set you back north of $100.00 each. :g

I thought they were considerably less than that these days... but hell, the shit's on CD (bet you never thought you'd see me say THAT!).

You mean I've passed my best opportunity to sell mine, already? :(

Oh well, I did give "Matador" to a worthy cause; a friend who was just getting in to GG.

MG

As a fan of GG, I'll second (third? etc.) the enthusiasm for Solid and Matador (interesting to hear Tyner on the latter session--in this less volatile context, the influence of later Trane--dissonances and all--is on full display). I've always been a Street of Dreams fan, myself.

Also, the very fact that Clifford has an avatar (however appropriate) is freaking me out.

Also, the very fact that Clifford has an avatar (however appropriate) is freaking me out.

Yeah, well, it took me long enough to decide if it was necessary. Still unsure.

I couldn't find a small enough image of the Lash LP, which is my favorite.

Clifford - find the image of the album you want. Save it to your hard drive. Then open it with MS Office Picture Manager, or Paint. Either program has facilities to let you reduce the size proportionately. Reduce it so it fits the avatar requirements and save it again. Then you can make it your avatar.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

You won't be disappointed. It Ain't Necessarily So just rocks!

Got that right, Brad! No choice but to play it twice the first time through, an instant favorite. :tup:cool:

Wow, I'm spinning this for the first time and you're right, instant favorite. This cut belongs on any jazz sampler that's introducing a novice to the music, it swings and rocks so hard I don't know who could resist it.

This is a great CD set, btw, lives up to the expectation. Nice sound to boot.