Airgein

Gooden's Corner

Oleo

Born To Be Blue

as well as three isolated tracks:

Count Every Star

Grenada

Hey There

'Count Every Star' is on two CDs: Blue And Sentimental and Born To Be Blue (it was originally on one of the LPs, and a bonus track on the other CD). The other two tracks are bonus cuts on The Latin Bit CD.

So, to get the Mosaic set, you need the 2-CD set (which contains Airegin, Gooden's Corner and Oleo), the Born To Be Blue CD and The Latin Bit CD. If you want the COMPLETE Green/Clark sessions, you need to get the First Session CD which contains two tracks that were not on the Mosaic set.

I just checked jazzdisco.org: 'Count Every Star' is actually from the Gooden's Corner session, so shouldn't it be on the 2-CD set? Or is it left out because of the tenor?

The only other Green/Clark session is Don Wilkerson's Elder Don. This would have made the Mosaic set a bit longer...

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hutcherson is superb and I love the way the vibes sound against the organ and Elvin's cymbals.

it is truly magical. talk about a late-night vibe...

I just checked jazzdisco.org: 'Count Every Star' is actually from the Gooden's Corner session, so shouldn't it be on the 2-CD set? Or is it left out because of the tenor?

exactly. not an addition to the quartet to be found anywhere on the set. i suppose they have to draw the line somewhere.

The only other Green/Clark session is Don Wilkerson's Elder Don. This would have made the Mosaic set a bit longer...

you know, that's a date i need to listen to again. it doesn't stand out in my mind as too hip. maybe it is and i just don't remember. just to muddy the water, grant and john patton are on wilkerson's "shoutin'" and grant and sonny are on "preach brother!"

-e-

stop being such a baby. what if we all said the reissue sounded horrible, would you just not buy it and miss out on grant + sonny. even chewy-chew-chew had this one in like the 7th grade. this and solid are the best pre-funky grant. but all pre-funky grant can't hold a candle to one solo of funky grant, im sorry i dont care what all you say

which one of u said u never warmed up to solid?

that was me, chief.

stop being such a baby. what if we all said the reissue sounded horrible, would you just not buy it and miss out on grant + sonny.

not sure what you're going for here. if you're referring to my mention of needing to check out 'elder don' again, i've owned the thing most likely longer than you've been alive. appreciate your enthusiasm though.

-e-

which one of u said u never warmed up to solid? solid is like the greatest thing ever. Ever

was it not issued until the 70s?

'Solid' was issued around '79-'80, nice enough set but I can understand why it sat in the can. Chewy-Chewy-Chew needs to listeny-listeny-listen to 'Idle Moments' , 'Green Street' ,'Matador', 'Grants First Stand', and 'Talkin About', and then report back to us on the relative and absolute merits of pre-Funky Grant Green.

which one of u said u never warmed up to solid? solid is like the greatest thing ever. Ever

was it not issued until the 70s?

'Solid' was issued around '79-'80, nice enough set but I can understand why it sat in the can. Chewy-Chewy-Chew needs to listeny-listeny-listen to 'Idle Moments' , 'Green Street' ,'Matador', 'Grants First Stand', and 'Talkin About', and then report back to us on the relative and absolute merits of pre-Funky Grant Green.

I like "Solid" a lot. It came out in 1979 as a "Blue Note Classic" with one of those semi-generic, white covers. I still have the vinyl.

matador is one of those rare bn's that has alluded purchace- i dont know why i just never happened! a few have slipped through the cracks...but i have every other grant green session from that peried and all im sayin is that i had a choice, to see grant live playing standards back in the day, or see his funky band, i would totally see his funky band. and just so u guys know every now and then in the 70s grant DID play jazz standard sets so he didnt forsake his artform like so many of you like to believe.

matador is one of those rare bn's that has alluded purchace- i dont know why i just never happened! a few have slipped through the cracks...but i have every other grant green session from that peried and all im sayin is that i had a choice, to see grant live playing standards back in the day, or see his funky band, i would totally see his funky band. and just so u guys know every now and then in the 70s grant DID play jazz standard sets so he didnt forsake his artform like so many of you like to believe.

I saw Grant Green with his funk group just before he died. It wasn't great.

I like Solid though Chewey, and Airegin, with Blakey is great.

On It Ain't Necessarily So, Grant and Bu lock in during Green's solo so deep, it's scary!

grant2.jpg

I saw Grant Green with his funk group just before he died. It wasn't great.

I like Solid though Chewey, and Airegin, with Blakey is great.

On It Ain't Necessarily So, Grant and Bu lock in during Green's solo so deep, it's scary!

grant2.jpg

Great pic Marcello - thanks.

My favourite half dozen GGs (in alphabetical order) are

Alive

Easy

Green is beautiful

Nigeria

Remembering

Street of dreams

Talkin' about

(Yes, I know - and "Matador" should be in there, too.)

MG

Not me. Solid happens to be one of my favorite Grant Green albums.

Same. Everybody talks about Grant & (insert name here), but What about Grant & Elvin, huh? For somebody like Grant whose phrasing was all about the rhythm, you gotta look at Elvin.

One more reccomendation for the Quartets. It's an unmissable GG release. If I had to keep one GG album it would be this one, even though it's a comp.

But I understand your questions, Wesbed. I have often asked myself the exact same thing. There was a time when I thought I had unearthed a Blue Note policy of repackaging slightly modified Mosaic sets: Herbie Nichols, this one, the Edmond Hall/James P. Johnson/Sidney De Paris/Vic Dickenson Sessions, the Chet Baker & Russ Freeman PJ sides, the Stan Getz Roost material ... But I finally found out they were all newly remastered and reissued and in no way connected to the Mosaic sets, or maybe just conceptually. I even wanted to start a thread on BN revamped Mosaic sets at one point.

SBM, by the way, has two flavours, 20bit and 24bit (just like K2 now). So this set was probably remastered by Ron McMaster in 1997 on 20bit SBM, although I think I know of some early 24bit SBMs from around that time. But I'd have to check, I'm speaking off the top of my head.