Turntable recommendations?

mjzee

something from iron man's lab?

i guess if i owned that turntable, i wouldn't even think of buying records under $30.

does it require a sterile environment?

Actually if you'd trying to spin a cheap record, the TT would trap and submit you to a brainwashing treatment. The brain functions restoring comes as option.

With that piece of high-permitivity plastic on the platter, it would make a pretty good Van Der Graaf Generator !

Edited by sidewinder

I've had a Rega Planar 3 for more than ten years. I had the motor upgrade about five years ago along with a new drive belt. I'm using a Rega Elys cartridge. I'm very happy with it's performance and reliability.

I hope to take the Rega plunge next week and order this P3-24. It now comes with the TT PSU as a package ....and the Elys2 is a few hundred extra. Based on the scattered research I've done, this seems like an exceptional TT.

98201-1.jpg

Tweeter is going out of business and I stopped into the Salem, NH store yesterday to say goodbye to a few of the salesmen I've dealt with over the years. On my way out, I saw a Pro-Ject Debut III sitting all alone just begging to be looked at. It was missing a power supply and the anti-skate weight so I asked them how low they would go. I got it for $150. :)

Once I get it going, it's going to replace my Denon DP-29F on my 3rd system. I might take the Denon into work and set it up on a PC in the lab. :D

• 1 month later...

I've had a Rega Planar 3 for more than ten years. I had the motor upgrade about five years ago along with a new drive belt. I'm using a Rega Elys cartridge. I'm very happy with it's performance and reliability.

I hope to take the Rega plunge next week and order this P3-24. It now comes with the TT PSU as a package ....and the Elys2 is a few hundred extra. Based on the scattered research I've done, this seems like an exceptional TT.

98201-1.jpg

You will love it!! :winky: I owned a Rega P3 for three years ( same green as this one) and it is an absolute gem! I have decided to replace it with the entry level of Linn last year but I can guarantee you that this turntable deserves all the praise you can read here and there.

• 3 weeks later...

I have one of these:

lencoL75_1S.JPG

Lenco L-75

any good?

it was fixed years ago by a local store (long since disappeared - hifi shops went downhill before music shops will... only those catering hi-end customers seem to survive, as well as the huge cheap discounters) - anyway, it seems to have some speed issues, but I have no idea how to fix that, or rather how I could adjust that other than just have it running slightly faster than at 33 rpm (it allows continuous setting of speed but there are "steps" or whatever you'd call that at 16[?], 33, 45 and 78)

I have one of these:

lencoL75_1S.JPG

Lenco L-75

any good?

it was fixed years ago by a local store (long since disappeared - hifi shops went downhill before music shops will... only those catering hi-end customers seem to survive, as well as the huge cheap discounters) - anyway, it seems to have some speed issues, but I have no idea how to fix that, or rather how I could adjust that other than just have it running slightly faster than at 33 rpm (it allows continuous setting of speed but there are "steps" or whatever you'd call that at 16[?], 33, 45 and 78)

Do you know if it's too fast at all speeds? If so, you could just need a new drive belt.

MG

hm, I think actually it's a tad too slow - but I only have 33 rpm albums, so I can't really check... though of course I could have one run at 45 and then do the math... but in the end it only matters in case I'd do vinyl rips (which though I'd like to do now and then), if I'm just listening, I won't notice it really.

I can't remember what was fixed back when it was fixed, but I think it was something about the motor, so maybe it's still got the same problem after all and it wasn't properly fixed.

hm, I think actually it's a tad too slow - but I only have 33 rpm albums, so I can't really check... though of course I could have one run at 45 and then do the math... but in the end it only matters in case I'd do vinyl rips (which though I'd like to do now and then), if I'm just listening, I won't notice it really.

I can't remember what was fixed back when it was fixed, but I think it was something about the motor, so maybe it's still got the same problem after all and it wasn't properly fixed.

Borrow a 45 you've got on CD.

If it's a bit slow, the belt's stretched - slightly more likely than that it's shrunk.

MG

Hm, I have some Blue Notes on both CD and LP, like Griffin's "The Congregation" - though the CD is the RVG while the LP is the Conn, I gather that should not influence the playing time, but then who knows.

As for 45, I'd still not have anything to compare it with a CD... but if anyone wants to unload his single of "Moanin'" or that bonus track on Adderley's "Sump'n Else", I'd not reject such an offer...

I love LPs - rediscovering them as I work on a new reissue project - they actually do, in terms of older music, reissues, etc, sound signficantly better than CDs - I'm astounded by some of the clarity I'm getting, post CEDAR and with some very significant re-equalization (which is the weak spot on old LPs, probably before the days of commonly accessible parametric eq's, not to mention my current digital eq, which I love; everyone should have one) -

Hm, I have some Blue Notes on both CD and LP, like Griffin's "The Congregation" - though the CD is the RVG while the LP is the Conn, I gather that should not influence the playing time, but then who knows.

As for 45, I'd still not have anything to compare it with a CD... but if anyone wants to unload his single of "Moanin'" or that bonus track on Adderley's "Sump'n Else", I'd not reject such an offer...

Flurin

I've just bought one of these Lenco 75s to play 78s and 45 rpm singles on. It needs a new arm. This site has all the possible information you could possibly want re Lenco problems, idler wheel flat would be my guess.

Lenco Lovers !!

Flurin

I've just bought one of these Lenco 75s to play 78s and 45 rpm singles on. It needs a new arm. This site has all the possible information you could possibly want re Lenco problems, idler wheel flat would be my guess.

Lenco Lovers !!

Thanks for that link, will look at it... I guess I'll need to look up a lot of words, I don't know all these technical terms... next step then would be to find someone nearby who fixes these things. That could be quite a task, these days. They do sell new turntables again all over, but no one seems to repair any technical device anymore, just throw it away!