Turntable recommendations?

mjzee

If you go for new, the usual names: Rega, Pro-Ject, Thorens, Music Hall. Most of them come fully equipped, cartridge and tonearm, often as 'promotional price' at least in Italy. I would check them out at you local shop.

If you can afford it check also the entry level Linn and VPI.

The Technics is a tank, perfect for heavy duty DJs and Turnatblists, but IMHO you pay for this, rather then sound accuracy and beauty.

I got my Technics SL-1200 MKII for some years now, and I am really happy with that turntable. Great sound, stability and performance.

Another guy who enjoys his turntable is here:

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Content/vinyl01.html

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Content/vinyl04.html

On cartridges:

http://www.arar93.dsl.pipex.com/mds975/Content/vinyl02.html

I've got a Grado Prestige Red which performs well. Over at SteveHoffman (The audioslaves gathering ground) many recommends the Audio Technica ML440. The Ortofon blue also performs very well.

I've got a Grado Prestige Red which performs well. Over at SteveHoffman (The audioslaves gathering ground) many recommends the Audio Technica ML440. The Ortofon blue also performs very well.

Back when I remember researching this stuff (many moons ago), I remember liking the sound of Audio Technica much more than Shure - the Shures sounded more flat and lifeless, while the ATs sounded more tuneful. I also liked Ortofon. I've known about Grado for years, but never owned one.

I really dread the whole process of slipping the leads on the 4 pins, and balancing the arm.

My current turntable is a Sony with a straight-arm and a P-Mount cartridge (Ortofon). I know the purists were against the P-Mounts, but I loved the no-fuss aspect. I found the receipt for the Sony while researching its sickness...I've had it for 19 years. Not a bad run, all in all.

I roughly agree too, though good turntables will last forever with a minimum maintenaince and care, if you don't throw them on the staircase...

...or have a cat who thinks it's great fun to jump down from a bookcase and play "spin the furball"... <_<

The only solution at this problem is buying a 160 GB Ipod...and sell all your records at sale price to forum members who keep the cats outside the room of the TT. :w

I roughly agree too, though good turntables will last forever with a minimum maintenaince and care, if you don't throw them on the staircase...

...or have a cat who thinks it's great fun to jump down from a bookcase and play "spin the furball"... <_<

forum members who keep the cats outside the room of the TT. :w

Or who don't have cats :D

I've been really pleased wit my Rega P3 bought about 4 years ago. Now fitted with a Denon DL 103R MC cartridge. The P3 has I believe had a bit of an upgrade in spec and price but it's a decent budget TT - I'm very content with it, but then again I've never heard anything better (but clearly better exists !!)

I've been really pleased wit my Rega P3 bought about 4 years ago. Now fitted with a Denon DL 103R MC cartridge. The P3 has I believe had a bit of an upgrade in spec and price but it's a decent budget TT - I'm very content with it, but then again I've never heard anything better (but clearly better exists !!)

I purchased a Rega Planar 3 earlier this year. It is quite a wonderful turntable.

I purchased a Rega Planar 3 earlier this year. It is quite a wonderful turntable.

Me three. No fuss, no muss.

• 1 month later...

something from iron man's lab?

i guess if i owned that turntable, i wouldn't even think of buying records under $30.

does it require a sterile environment?

Actually if you'd trying to spin a cheap record, the TT would trap and submit you to a brainwashing treatment. The brain functions restoring comes as option.