What is the SINGLE most important Jazz Era

Dan Gould

Pick one, please  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm guessing the "classic BN era" will win by a landslide.

BTW, if "progressive 60s" isn't clear, I mean, what was demonstrably POST-bop, and POST-hardbop.

I think I want to vote for this one, but still want some clarification.

Are you talkin'about mid to late 60's developments like Joe Henderson, Andrew Hill, Charles Tolliver's work with Jackie McLean, hell - Jackie McLean after 1964 for that matter, Woody Shaw's work with Jackie and Tyrone Washington and Stanley Cowell ("Brilliant Circles"), Bobby Hutcherson, well hell - all of Herbie's and Wayne's BN output, particularly in the mid and especially late 60's??? Larry Young on Unity and especially post-"Unity" -- and later John Patton, circa 1967 and after.

Is that what you're talking about??? If so, then sign me up!!!!

EDIT: Well, yeah - I kind of had my "Blue Note" hat on when I wrote this post. But Miles after 1965, for sure, definitely. I'm now voting for "progressive 60's" - without a doubt.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster, you got it by yourself. "Progressive '60s" is the universe of music influenced by Free, or the AG, everything demonstrably "beyond" bop and hardbop.

In fact, I conceived it specifically based on your known interests, and I suspected that the Post-60s category would be your second choice.

It's all good to me, and I don't mean that as "cute" or anything like that. I listen to the spirit, not the style, and I find it all over the place, and not really concentrated in one particular era. Besides, I go through so many "phases" that it's almost schizo. Go on a Lester Young binge for a few weeks then straight to an Electric Miles obsession to a Sinatra-fest to a Bud Powell party to a Brian Wilson marathon whatever strikes my fancy next.

Some people call it "eclectic", but I simply call it being a musical slut. :g:g:g

I find one of the most interesting times in jazz to be the transition from more traditonal jazz forms to bebop. Lots of interesting musical experiments were going on at the time. I'm not sure how this fits into your list? Probably straddles a couple of choices on the list.

This should have been an easy pick for me, because my tastes pretty much favor hard bop from mid-50s to late-60s, the classic BN period. The only problem is that I love a lot of the later Progressive stuff as well.

To me, Blue Note was "progressive!" Hate to have to choose between the two selections as one is the gemini face of the other.

Grrr, Dan! ;)

I too find it hard to choose. I suppose "Post-60s Progressives (anyone with roots in that era, from the seventies through today)" would be the centre ground given that much of my listening revolves around European jazz and there wasn't a great deal before the 60s!!!

But I tend to hop around. I'll lock into an era for a few months and focus there; then something will throw me elsewhere. Currently I'm spending alot of time (and money!) on "Blue Note's classic LP period-say, '52 to '67" and "Progressive '60s (post bop and hardbop)"

The one that excites me least is "Neo-Bop of the 80s"...but I can cite some examples I enjoy there too.

Woolly-minded liberalism rules!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Wow, the bop originators getting no respect. Who'da thunk it?

My single most important jazz era is 1920-1965. :)

I'd vote for that too!

As for the bop innovators, the truth is, I don't really enjoy listening to early bop as much as I enjoy hard bop. This is not to say that I don't appreciate or respect what they were doing, but I like the feel of hard bop more.

I listen to my Buddy Bolden cylinder every day... I guess that makes me pre-bop. (Bought it off some kid in a New Orleans alley--even though it sounded suspiciously like an outtake from MAJESTY OF THE BLUES at first, the kid assured me he was on the up-and-up!)

I voted 52-67, but lately I've been listening to a LOT of 1930s jazz, both small-group and big-band. The bop 1945-52 era is one I return to quite frequently as well. And the 70s are drawing me in more & more these days. Aw, hell, I generally end up all over the place, which is a good place to be, atc.

I love it all, but I felt the need to give "Pre-bop" a little love, so I voted for that. What an era it was! Pops, Bean, Pres, Billie, Ella, Sassy, Mr. B, Mr. Jelly Roll, Art "God" Tatum, Nat "King" Cole, Thomas "Fats" Waller, James P. Johnson, Sidney Bechet, Bessie Smith, the Duke, the Count, Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Teddy Wilson, Hamp, Albert Ammons, Meade Lux Lewis, Harry James, Bunny Berigan, Roy Eldridge...

Need I go on?!