Favorite appearances by Sun Ra sidemen/alumni

Rooster_Ties

Thanks for your wake-up call, Brandon, it's still quite early (and snowy) here.

ubu

Is this what you see from your window, ubu? :lol:

Oh Hell! Get *************!

That image at least has some sort of beauty... (although I have not yet figured out the use of snow at all), but here it's sort of drizzling wet ugly grey dark shitty weather... some Watusa would sure help me to travel our swiss spaceways (hell, why go to the moon...)

:g

ubu

B000002HLV.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

Surrender to the Air (Elektra, 1996)

A project lead by Trey Anastasio, also including Jon Fishman (both of Phish fame). This disc also includes Michael Ray (tp) and Marshall Allen (as), along with Marc Ribot and John Medeski. In many ways, it comes off as a sort of 'Sun Ra'-ish album, more than anything else (and to my ears, at least - it isn't very Phishy at all).

You can probably find this one used (and very cheap) if you keep your eyes out for it. It doesn't have Anastasio's name on the spine, so it's almost always filed under 'S' for "Surrender..." (and most often filed in the Rock section too, as most used places have no idea what it is, or where to file it - and frankly, it is a bit of a genre-buster).

Well worth $6 or $7, which is what I've often seen it for, but I'd probably snag it for $8 or $9 even. :tup (3 and 1/2 stars, in my book)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think that maybe my favorite Charles Davis on record, all things considered, is on THE STRAIGHT HORN OF STEVE LACY. But that's really too close to call.

Yeah! I think Davis is the one who makes this a good one!

Forgot about it. Gotta listen again, thanks for mentioning, Jim.

ubu

That Davis Tadd thing was on West 54, the same short-lived label that released Slide Hampton's first WORLD OF TROMBONES album, and what else? I bought the Davis album in the 70s, didn't care for it, thought it was too loose, ragged, unfocused, whatever, and ditched it in about a month.

But the Bastardinous ones at Dusty Guruve had a sealed copy for sale at a good price when I found that Wilen thing earlier this week, so it's coming back to me. I think I might have acted too hastily back in the day...

I think you'll dig it; it is a little bit ragged, but that's part of its charm ch'ask me.

What Wilen did you McGrab from the dusty groove-exagera/misses?

You're probably right about the Davis thing. I was really into a revolt against the hyper-brash recording quality of a lot of late-70s jazz records, being in full thrall of Blue Note/Van Gelder-mania, at least when it came to straight-ahead type stuff.

But Charles Davis and "loose" are kind of synonymous if you know what I mean ;) so I'll no dobt appreciate it a LOT more now than I did then. I think Iwas expecting a '50s/'60s type date, and that was just plain ignorant of me.

I got the JAZZ IN PARIS thing w/Bags on piano, based on what I heard in Dr. J's Blindfold Test. Sounds like a REALLY good session.

I think you're going to enjoy hearing his playing evolve over the years, taking the lessons he learned from Newk and Pres and that spark he always had from the stat that was HIM, and becoming more and more a saxophone master (and I mean of all the horns save maybe bass and contrabass!) and an elder European jazz statesman, and a proliferator of French music as well. . . . Keep me posted on your Wilen journey (and I can probably help out here and there too.)

wilen.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Yes Jim! Have fun with Wilen. I love that Jazz in Paris album a lot!

He plays bari on some later things I have, though if you're new to him, I'd recommend you hunt down the following two:

B000008A1E.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

available here

and:

B000025SXQ.03.LZZZZZZZ.gif

There's a two CD edition subtitled "The Complete RCA Victor Recordings". Recorded live on two days/nights in Paris (Club Saint-Germain) with Kenny Dorham, Duke Jordan, Paul Rovère and Daniel Humair. Wilen plays some soprano there. He also made a soundtrack-album with Blakey's Messengers (maybe you have this), where he turns in some good playing.

ubu

Yes, this is amazing stuff, but I prefer his final decade or so of work, ultimately; it is varied and yet always wonderful.

BUT really flippin' hard to find, at least at a reasonable price!

I really love almost all of those with girlfriend Marie Moor on the cover!

1067.GIF

Edited by jazzbo

The thread seems to be turning into a Barney Wilen appreciation society which I'll gladly join. Been a fan of him ever since he came all over the Paris jazz scene in the mid-fifties. Jazzbo and Ubu have already mentioned many interesting dates, let me just add a couple of 'freer' Wilen dates that should be checked, if they can be unearthed: 'Zodiac' (1966) on Vogue, 'Dear Prof. Leary' (1968) on MPS and 'Le Grand Cirque' (1992) on Nato.

There is also a beautiful 1986 duo date with guitarist Philip Petit which came out in France last year. It was distributed by Harmonia Mundi. Also worth checking.

I've never heard the Zodiac and Prof. Leary releases. . . mythical beasts, I've only ever seen them on ebay for far more than I would spend!

Le Grand Cirque is indeed a great one, though L'Auto Jazz, an earlier similar date with (even more) racing sounds mixed in seems more avant garde to me. . . .

Another John Gilmore fan here - he tears it up on Pete LaRoca Sims' Women at a Turkish Bath album.  I like that date for the whole ensemble.  [Certainly not for the fidelity.]  Chick Corea is on it as well.  They play in ways not usually found on records of the same era, with these wonderful ostinatos and free-ish passages.

laroca_pete_turkishwo_101b.jpg

so on your recommendation i picked one up. nice! thanks! B)

(i even looked up ostinato!)

Edited by Evan