Cecil Taylor/Instabile

brownie

The Cecil Taylor and Italian Instabile Orchestra CD 'The Owner of the River Bank' is out on Enja. This is an hour-long suite that was recorded in September 2000 in Ruvo di Puglia in the south of Italy. It was the first time CT and the II Orchestra had performed together. Three days of rehearsals enabled CT to give enough indications to the musicians to perform a provocative work.

First hearing leaves the listener perplexed with the abruptness of most of the music. Second hearing sets the explorations in perspective and makes much better sense.

The CD one if going to get replays.

Thanks for the news, brownie! Got to look for this. Yesterday they did not have it here, but they're usually half a year in retard concerning new releases anyway... (though they did have the f**king copy-protected Larry Young Conn... but not the Hill, which I might have otherwise bought right away.)

ubu

Ubu, to be honest, I have seen only one copy in a Paris shop so far. That's the one I grabbed. Did not see any other copies of this in the FNAC/Virgin stores I visited since.

But I saw a copy of the Miles Davis 'Ascenseur pour l'Echafaud' 24-bit reissue from Universal France at FNAC. So this one is out too. It has the original tracks plus the alternates. But as I have said on another thread, doubt that it adds really much to the previous reissues.

Chaney, CT has a rather subdued role in the suite leaving the Instabile Orchestra plenty of space to display its talent. Actually, I was hoping to hear more of Taylor's piano playing. But I'm French and - as everyone knows by now - the French can't resist a complaint :angry:

Cecil played in the UK with Bang on a Can, which I guess you'd call a modern classical ensemble, a couple of years ago. They did a series of written pieces not by Cecil (maybe one was, I forget), which he more or less added colour to when he soloed. He also seemed subdued then, and I was a bit disappointed too (so it ain't just the French, Brownie). Tony Oxley was also there (although unbilled) and played in a more committed style.

I am wondering if this is a pattern with CT - if, at his age and given the incredible physical demands his style must make, he's slowing down a bit - at least in some settings.

It was quite an interesting concert, nonetheless.

Simon Weil

I did happen to come a bit late to the concert...and saw Cecil going in the stage door. He seemed a bit floaty and disorientated - and I had the impression he was being supported by a woman helper, a bit. That sense of floaty also seem to appear on stage - and it was in that light that I read his performance.

Like he never really did commit and give it his all that night.

Simon Weil

• 2 weeks later...