Pepper Adams

Late

Conjuration: Fat Tuesday's Session (live, Aug. 19 & 20th, 1983)

Urban Dreams (1981)

The Master

The latter is a Camdan/BMG 2-CD set of three albums: Reflectory (1978), Generations (1985), and The Master (1980.)

All of the above albums I would personally rate in the very good to excellent categories.

Ditto to all of the above to which I would add Ephemera (Spotlite) from 1973 (with Hanna, Mraz, Lewis).

Pepper passed in 1986.

Yes, Ephemera is a great album, which I have on vinyl, with back cover photo of Pepper in London's Soho, where it was recorded. Saw him with the Jones/Lewis orchestra (Hanna/Mraz/Lewis rhythm section) in Manchester in 1978, so they must have visited Britain more than once in the seventies.

Ditto to all of the above to which I would add Ephemera (Spotlite) from 1973 (with Hanna, Mraz, Lewis).

Pepper passed in 1986.

Yes, Ephemera is a great album, which I have on vinyl, with back cover photo of Pepper in London's Soho, where it was recorded. Saw him with the Jones/Lewis orchestra (Hanna/Mraz/Lewis rhythm section) in Manchester in 1978, so they must have visited Britain more than once in the seventies.

BillF. Ephemera was, I believe, recorded on tour with Thad and Mel in '73, so that was the year you would have seen the big band with that rhythm section. The pianist with the band in '78 was most likely Harold Danko and probably Bob Bowman on bass. It's easy for all the tours to kind of merge into one (especially 30+ years ago).

Pepper passed in 1986.

BillF. Ephemera was, I believe, recorded on tour with Thad and Mel in '73, so that was the year you would have seen the big band with that rhythm section. The pianist with the band in '78 was most likely Harold Danko and probably Bob Bowman on bass. It's easy for all the tours to kind of merge into one (especially 30+ years ago).

Thanks for jogging the memory! It was certainly no earlier than 1977 and Richard Davis may have been the bassist.

My saxophone teacher (years ago) used to have Ephemera on vinyl. Did it ever make it to CD? He played it for me once, and I can barely remember it.

I'll have to look for that Camdan/BMG 2-CD set. It looks like one to have. Have any of the others made it to compact disc?

The Adams Effect (1985)

Pepper Adams (baritone sax); Frank Foster (tenor sax); Tommy Flanagan (piano); Ron Carter (bass); Billy Hart (drums)

Julian ( 1975 ) enja CD 9115-2

Pepper Adams ( baritone saxophone )

Walter Norris ( piano )

George Mraz ( bass )

Makaya Ntshoko ( drums )

Both great.

All of the above, plus a blowing session called Baritone Madness with Pepper and Nick Brignola. Came out on Beehive (I think), haven't seen it on CD.

That one is a KILLER ! :tup :tup : :tup

Ted Curson on trumpet in an excellent 'foil' role to the two baris.

Only on vinyl like all Beehives, I believe.

Edited by sidewinder