Expletive(s) deleted - what a fucking day!!!!!&#33

An hour and a half here and I'm feeling slightly better. Thanks guys.

First thing, trying to update AVG virus software, I get a message that the update failed because a .bin file wasn't present. The programme gave no help about what action to take. So I uninstalled it and downloaded another copy. Tried to get update; same message.

Bollocks, I thought, I'll install the security software from my ISP that I got the other day when we got the new PC. Couldn't work out how to do that, so I rang their technical help line and a lady talked me thrugh that. But it's a 90 day trial and, when i first got broadband from them 3 years ago, I used up my 90 days, so when I rebooted after installing it, it said "you have 0 days cover".

OK, I'll download the non-free version of AVG for a 30 day trial, which will give me time to think about what I can do. So I did, but I hadn't unistalled AVG free or the ISP software. So halfway through the installation it tells me to uninstall them. I didn't think the ISP stuff would be a handicap, so I didn't uninstall that, just AVG. Then I couldn't find out how to restart the installation. I went onto Grisoft's site and tried to access the help stuff. But I got a "page can't be displayed" message. Just then the ISP's connection software popped up to say I had a problem with my connection (oh fuck, that's all I fucking need) and if I followed the instructions, it would fix it for me (oh, all right). So I followed instructions and, at the end of the process it said it couldn't fix it. Thanks.

So I phoned the ISP technical desk again. Got the security software uninstalled but the guy said their conenction software was telling me lies, because my connection was OK. "Well," I said, "I definitely couldn't get Grisoft's help page". "What did you do then?" "Tried somewhere else, and it worked." "So it's OK." (Well, no it isn't, actually.)

So I asked him if he could recommend any free anti-virus software because I wasn't going to buy his firm's. So this was a good bloke. He said he used AVG himself at home but suggested, since I was having trouble with AVG to try Avast. I did and got that. And of course, I had to run a virus scan when it was up and running, 'cos I'd been out ther with no protection all morning. And that took two hours.

And just after I'd started the scan, my daughter and #2 grandson turn up and she's in tears - another crisis with son-in-law! Stayed for lunch, after which I was dismissed up here so my wife could talk to her. Don't know what the outcome will be...

Worried.

But y'all help, and thanks.

MG

The computer stuff sounds typically infuriating. I would have given up at the first glitch, I'm afraid. I admire your resolve.

Thing is, you can't give up when you don't have any computer security - and it's a Sunday, so you can't go down the local shop (where the new PC came from).

Do hope your daughter is feeling better. Son-in-laws can be real jerks sometimes (I've heard).

Well, she's gone now. I asked my wife what she was going to do, and she didn't know, after a couple of hours woman to woman. So that must be good, I guess.

MG

I've got Avast installed and it seems to be working well( touch wood). I was invaded by multiple Trojan viruses and Norton just wasn't helping. I came across Avast while searching for something to clean out the Trojan and it surprised me by how quickly it did the job. The daily database update is also good.

I'll probably scrap Norton and upgrade to Avast($) pro version.

Edited by kinuta

First thing, trying to update AVG virus software, I get a message that the update failed because a .bin file wasn't present. The programme gave no help about what action to take. So I uninstalled it and downloaded another copy. Tried to get update; same message.

Funny--same thing happened to me yesterday. But when I uninstalled and reinstalled, it worked. Go figure.

Funny--same thing happened to me yesterday. But when I uninstalled and reinstalled, it worked. Go figure.

Damn! I could have avoided all that trouble, just by taking my PC to France!

MG

Damn! I could have avoided all that trouble, just by taking my PC to France!

I'm a longtime user of AVG, both free and pay versions (I have the pay version on 2 desktop workstations, and the free version on my wife's laptop). Whenever anything like this happens, my first instinct is to do nothing and see if the problem is resolved on the next update. Which it appears to have been. I believe AVG's default setting is to check for updates daily, and to my mind it's a very minimal risk of getting infected because an update failed or was delayed. As always, YMMV, depending on your tolerance for risk - all of my machines are behind a NAT router, and I might very well feel differently were they not. It's also worth checking the AVG forums when you experience a problem to see if anyone else is having the same issues.

What did try my patience seriously was when AVG mysteriously started requiring the PC to be restarted after every single daily update. Only one of my machines experienced this, but it was unfortunately one that runs 24/7, and it was a supreme pain in the ass to have to reboot every day when it normally goes months between reboots. Lots of other people reported the same problem, and various solutions were proposed but I'm not aware of one that conclusively fixed it. It finally went away as suddenly as it started; now that I've mentioned it, it'll probably start happening again.