Your favorite dates with three or four-horn front lines...

Rooster_Ties

Was thinking recently how so many of my favorite 60's hard-bop dates all seem to be of bands with three-horn or four-horn front-lines. In such cases, the arranging possibilities seem almost to be exponentially greater than with two horns.

What are your favorites?? -- particularly in terms of the quality of the arrangements found therein.

Who were/are some of the best arrangers of small groups with multi-horn front-lines??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Start your own thread. ;)

But I answered your question. :unsure:

Just a reference to your comment in the thread about multiple album covers from the same photo-sessions (when I suggested opening the thread up to out-takes from any photo-session that was used to make an album cover).

How's about you and I both clean up this thread (deleting all our extranious non-topic comments), and pretend this never happened. :)

Cheers!! -- Tom

Definitely check out the Morton sides mentioned above.

For your tastes, you'd probably like the CD "The Art of Blakey" by the (one-time) collective called Message. The album seems like another lame tribute project, but this one is actually quite fine, particularly because it doesn't dwell on Blakey staples, and instead breathes "Messenger" life into original compositions. Four-horn line-up: Robin Eubanks (tb), Brian Lynch (t), Donald Harrison (as), Ralph Moore (ts). Geoff Keezer (p), Peter Washington (b), and Carl Allen (d) round out the septet. Lynch's and Keezer's arranging skills, even at this early point for both of them, are pretty solid.

Some very good arranging work from Graham Collier for 4 horns on his 1960s Deram albums which I particularly like - 'Deep Dark Blue Centre', 'Mosaics' and 'Songs For My Father'. Post bop with almost a 'film noir' mood influence.

Gotta mention the Don Grolnick Blue Notes for quality of arranging for the bigger group too.

One that springs immediately to mind:

Charlie Rouse - Soul Mates (Uptown Records)

Recorded 1988, released 1993, and one of the finest jazz recordings of either decade. Rouse on tenor is joined by Sahib Shihab on baritone and Claudio Roditi on trumpet. Walter Davis, Jr. mans the piano, with Santi Debriano on bass and Victor Lewis on drums. Arrangements by Don Sickler. Superb!

Nessa should be able to hook you up with this one.

talking about roditi, one very fine album with a three or four horn frontline on a number of songs is vitor assis brasil's 1969 album trajeto which is currently available very cheaply, assis brasil is a very interesting alto player and roditi has some nice solos, too (his first and only session for a number of years to come (?))

off the top of my mind - and not counting your usual hardbop stuff where by chance there were three horns instead of just two (and mostly no real arrangements, unless you had guys like Gryce or Golson in the mix): Tadd Dameron! His Blue Note sessions are great and feature mid-sized groups with Fats Navarro/Ernie Henry/Charlie Rouse and Navarro/Allen Eager/Wardell Gray, respectively. His later "Big Ten" have more horns, I think (among them were Miles, Kai Winding, Dexter Gordon and others). Too bad most of Dameron's recorded output is crappy boots (courtesy of Boris Rose). I'd love to have a neat 3CD package (or would it fit on two?) with all the Royal Roost broadcasts culled together and cleaned up as well as possible. There you get more frontlines with Navarro/Rudy Williams/Eager and then later Winding/Williams/Eager. All mighty fine music!

Definitely check out the Morton sides mentioned above.

For your tastes, you'd probably like the CD "The Art of Blakey" by the (one-time) collective called Message. The album seems like another lame tribute project, but this one is actually quite fine, particularly because it doesn't dwell on Blakey staples, and instead breathes "Messenger" life into original compositions. Four-horn line-up: Robin Eubanks (tb), Brian Lynch (t), Donald Harrison (as), Ralph Moore (ts). Geoff Keezer (p), Peter Washington (b), and Carl Allen (d) round out the septet. Lynch's and Keezer's arranging skills, even at this early point for both of them, are pretty solid.

:tup

And it just happens to be available in my Stupendous Sale

When you take in the whole history of the music, the possibilities are mind-boggling (the Morton et al. dates that Chuck mentioned from the '20s, pretty much the entire swath of Ellington small group sides from the '30s), but it might be a good idea to divide things where possible into multi-horn dates where the focus is still more or less on the solos (e.g. "Hub Cap," among the Blue Notes, though Melba Liston's chart on that Randy Weston piece is fine; the Hampton RCA multi-horn things, the Condon Commodores and late '30s Bud Freeman recordings, all those H.R.S. sessions, etc., the Goodman Sextet, the Mulligan Sextet, etc.) and multi-horn dates where the focus is more or less on the writing and/or the overall ensemble statement (the Mortons again, Birth of the Cool, oodles of Mingus, Rod Levitt's things, the list could go on and on -- as could the other list).

There are so many!!!!!!! Here are some that come quickly to mind.

Lennie Niehaus Sextet - Contemporary

Horace Silver - The Jody Grind Blue Note

Jack Montrose Sextet - Pacific Jazz

Chet Baker & Art Pepper - Playboys - Pacific Jazz

Dexter Gordon & Slide Hampton - A Day In Copenhagen - MPS

Benny Carter - Wonderland - Pablo

Clifford Brown - Jazz Immortal - Pacific Jazz

Cannonball Adderley Sextet - Cannonball In Europe - Capitol