Does anyone pay attention to the Olympic Games anymore?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Soni lady last night, the swimmer, HOO BOY what a race she had. Exceptional! Stuff like that, somebody who just gives it all, leaves nothing behind, and beats the odds to win, how do you not like that?

Is it just me, or is NBC's coverage this year not quite as Focused On America At The Expense Of EVERYBODY Else than it's been in the past?

A question of degree, mind you...

Is it just me, or is NBC's coverage this year not quite as Focused On America At The Expense Of EVERYBODY Else than it's been in the past?

A question of degree, mind you...

Yes, I noticed that too. The coverage has been a little more rounded.

I thought so. Makes for a much more enjoyable watch, I think. Not that I still don't Root For The Home Team, but anytime there's additional depth-of-story added, hey, that's a good thing.

Just saw a highlight of some wrestler who got his bronze medal on the ceremony stand, hoped down, laid the medal on the ground and walked off the stage in protest of the scoring of his event, or some crap. ... Not only disrespectful of the Olympics, but how about the silver medal winner? He must feel really great about being humiliated by this chump.

Phelps is pretty damn awesome to watch. It's hard to fathom that a human can move through water that fast.

Found myself watching the zillion meter women's bicycle race and went "oh yeah that's right the Olympics is on."

Same race as I saw last time. The girl who goes out in front early doesn't win, instead it's some other girl who has done nothing so far,

Except for the times where someone leads from the start and wins.

What's up with that?

and the commentators make themselves feel clever by saying 'Pellaton' instead of 'big bunch of bikes.'

Do you ever wonder if they pay someone who doesn't even watch sports to write that shit? :ph34r:

Edited by 7/4

Phelps and Soulstation1's Daily Food Consumption

Coming in at a mere 12,000 calories

Breakfast:

Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

Two cups of coffee.

One five-egg omelet.

One bowl of grits.

Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar.

Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch:

One pound of enriched pasta.

Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread.

Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner:

One pound of pasta.

An entire pizza.

More energy drinks.

Plus I eat 5 Big Kahuna Burgers :lol:

Edited by Soulstation1

homeboy does all that swimming too.

You see the torsos on those guys? Even when I was a younger man & worked out, no way I got anywhere near that.

Swimming, they say, is the perfect exercise. Can't say that I agree, but watching all those swimmers come out of their turns from the underwater cameras, there's plenty in common with what I do consider the perfect exercise, so maybe swimming is the perfect training for the perfect exercise.

homeboy does all that swimming too.

You see the torsos on those guys? Even when I was a younger man & worked out, no way I got anywhere near that.

Swimming, they say, is the perfect exercise. Can't say that I agree, but watching all those swimmers come out of their turns from the underwater cameras, there's plenty in common with what I do consider the perfect exercise, so maybe swimming is the perfect training for the perfect exercise.

Yeah, but can you burn off 12,000 calories doing your kind of "perfect exercise?" :lol:

I think that these Olympics have been the most enjoyable to watch in some time. There are far fewer nauseating human interest segments about the athletes than usual. There have been some genuinely exciting swimming and gymnastics events. It's been fun.

Regarding all the reasons expressed here for not liking the Olympics, I am with JSngry--everything is commercialized and tainted and impure these days. If you don't like something for that reason, there is virtually nothing left in the world to like. I enjoy seeing the athletes cut through all of that and still deliver inspiring performances.