Does anyone pay attention to the Olympic Games anymore?

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, what are we talking about here, the Olympics, or the bullshit surrounding the Olympics? Don't tell me that you can' separate them, because I'll tell you like Baraka told peeps when they said, they couldn't dance to bebop - yeah, you can't.

It's still the premier international competition for a big bunch of athletes, and if you don't want to dig that because of all the other stuff that goes on outside the moments of competition, fine.

If it was in my area I would buy tickets to some of the events, I do respect those that put in the sacrifice to have their moment every four years.

For me the "competition/sport" has been ruined by some countries, some politicians, some participants, some drugs and a bunch of corporations. Sorry to say I now find the whole thing an irritating interruption in my life.

I am truly sorry for the "pure" participants (if there are many), but the system screwed them.

I watch less because the coverage is so damn awful- sorry, I just have no patience for the 153rd athelete who has overcome xxx to become an Olympian while the rousing music plays in the background. I wish I had a good foreign channel so I could just watch sports and skip the saccharine profiles.

There was a race in the last Olympics where these two women were going neck & neck for a good distance, very exciting, I'm glued to the tube to see who will win, and.... they cut to a profile of one of the competitors!!! Give me the race, it was great. By the time they came back to the race one woman had taken a nice lead and like BB King,'The Thrill is Gone'.

I wish I had a good foreign channel so I could just watch sports and skip the saccharine profiles.

From what I've seen, foreign coverage of the Games is no better.

One of the advantages of cable is that NBC now covers the Games on many channels. Primetime NBC coverage is usually full of athlete profiles and travelogues, but if you just want the sports there are now several options, MSNBC among them. I believe Universal HD channel is covering the games nearly round-the-clock in HD.

The only sports I ever really watched a lot in the Olympics was luge and bobsled. I guess because they look so damned fun! :excited: However, in the best of times, these sports seem to be impossible to catch, at least for me. Apparently I'm the only one watching, so they always show up at 3:30 AM or something...

Never did care for the Olympics, other than hockey in the Winter Olympics. I don't get it; no one cares about beach volleyball or the shot put except during the Olympics.

Nobody? I play beach volleyball. Last night there were another 300+ people playing beach volleyball on the other 10 courts throughout the night. Six nights a week, in my small town, that many people are playing beach volleyball. Whether they care about it while they're playing, I can't say, but I'd be willing to guess yes, based on their competitiveness.

Everytime its on tv, I stop and watch a few points, maybe a game, maybe a match, depending.

Maybe no one in Ann Arbor cares about beach volleyball except during the olympics.

If you think nobody cares about these sports, you should do a google search. They all have major websites with major advertising and major community involvement.

Nobody cares about organ jazz either you know. Yet, here we are, shooting the shit about the Olympics.

Never did care for the Olympics, other than hockey in the Winter Olympics. I don't get it; no one cares about beach volleyball or the shot put except during the Olympics.

Nobody? I play beach volleyball. Last night there were another 300+ people playing beach volleyball on the other 10 courts throughout the night. Six nights a week, in my small town, that many people are playing beach volleyball. Whether they care about it while they're playing, I can't say, but I'd be willing to guess yes, based on their competitiveness.

Everytime its on tv, I stop and watch a few points, maybe a game, maybe a match, depending.

Maybe no one in Ann Arbor cares about beach volleyball except during the olympics.

If you think nobody cares about these sports, you should do a google search. They all have major websites with major advertising and major community involvement.

Nobody cares about organ jazz either you know. Yet, here we are, shooting the shit about the Olympics.

Whoa, my mistake, I guess 300 people do make a difference! :rolleyes: And are these people PLAYING or WATCHING? We're talking about watching the Olympics. Who cares if people are playing. Different argument.

Serenity Now. Jeez.

I enjoy watching sports, i'm happy to see more deserving athletes get their day in the sun because of the Olympics however i just don't care for the huge machinery behind it that is more about pleasing corporate entities than sport. Way too many non deserving sports are now part of it because they get ratings of are there because someone with a big wallet said so.

I also find hypocritical to see people and media suddenly care about athletes and their performance while the rest of the time they compete anonymously with nobody bothering to report their results.

Whoa, my mistake, I guess 300 people do make a difference! :rolleyes: And are these people PLAYING or WATCHING? We're talking about watching the Olympics. Who cares if people are playing. Different argument.

Serenity Now. Jeez.

I'm telling you there is a whole world of people that care about beach volleyball, just as there is a whole world of people that care about organ jazz. Dude, there's a whole world of people that go around quoting Seinfeld episodes. No argument.

I enjoy watching sports, i'm happy to see more deserving athletes get their day in the sun because of the Olympics however i just don't care for the huge machinery behind it that is more about pleasing corporate entities than sport. Way too many non deserving sports are now part of it because they get ratings of are there because someone with a big wallet said so.

I also find hypocritical to see people and media suddenly care about athletes and their performance while the rest of the time they compete anonymously with nobody bothering to report their results.

For whatever reason, humans racing each other just isn't a spectator sport the way humans racing horses or humans racing cars is. Not enough gear involved maybe? Maybe each athlete should be fitted with some sort of exoskeleton. Then we'd get some primetime broadcasts in. Or we could call the "gladiators" and give them stage names.

For whatever reason, humans racing each other just isn't a spectator sport the way humans racing horses or humans racing cars is.

I'm no doubt in the minority, but the track events are by far and away my most favorite Olympic events. Always have been.

Nah ... they're over too fast. If they lasted longer maybe .... ^_^

And another thing ...

What's the deal with athletes picking what country they're going to represent? There's a guy from Pittsburgh named J.R. Holden playing point guard for the Russian men's basketball team. A guy from Michigan on the German team. American Becky Hammon is on the Russian women's team partly because she couldn't make the U.S. team. ... It's a free-for-all. Passports are traded for a shot at a medal, pure and simple.

So the Olympics is basically a bunch pro athletes competing for whatever team (country) will hire them (grant them citizenship). And more than a few are jacked up on performance-enhancers. And it's all taking place in a totalitarian state. .... yeah, I'm interested in this because why again? .... <_<

I don't begrudge anyone who is interested. Have at it. But recognize what it is you're watching. Gimme Eddie the Eagle!!!

For whatever reason, humans racing each other just isn't a spectator sport the way humans racing horses or humans racing cars is.

I'm no doubt in the minority, but the track events are by far and away my most favorite Olympic events. Always have been.

Yeah, but his point was that you are only interested once every four years.

Well, yeah, but track meets are really cool. Really. But they're hard to follow in person unless you're really keyed in, and are time consuming on TV, which honestly doesn't really cover them well, I think. But the Olympics, hey, great coverage, you get some narrative to the events (or used to, put me down with those who think that NBC has whored out big time in terms of regular network coverage, gimme the old ABC crew any day they become available again), and yeah, hey, it's all good like that.

Would i watch a track meet a week if it was on with Olympic-style broadcasting? Probably not, I don't watch too much of anything regularly anymore except news. But once or twice a month, yeah, I do dig track (and some field!) enough to do that more often than not.

Edited by JSngry

... I don't watch too much of anything regularly anymore except news. ...

I think maybe this is a big part of it for me -- I don't watch TV anymore. That's the problem. I don't watch news ... nothing (except for baseball). :rfr ... It's TV in general that I can't stand!

Edited by papsrus

Once they decoupled the Winter Olympics from the Summer, and started having them every TWO years instead of every four, it began to seem like all Olympics, all the time. The media clamor leading up to the Olympics is so deafening that you can't help but KNOW about them, even if you don't give a shit about them. Personally, I think the Olympics should be disbanded because they're a frigging joke, but I know that's not going to happen, any more than they're going to abolish the Electoral College.