Next batch of Conns (Fall 2004) - ???????

Rooster_Ties

He did say that the Booker Ervin / Woody Shaw date was a "probable" release for this Fall, so don't bother to vote for that one.  And all the previously unreleased Andrew Hill is already on his radar, but seems to be more like as some sort of Hill "Select" - than a Conn.

:excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

Thanks for sharing, Rooster T!

ubu

FOR THE RECORD, Michael said he's talking with Andrew about it, and NOTHING is at all certain about whether any of those unreleased Andrew Hill sessions will ever see the light of day.

Personally, I would guess that there's only a 50/50 chance that Andrew will end up wanting them released. Maybe he will, but there's every chance that maybe he won't.

Nobody's more excited about the posibility of hearing all those unreleased Hill sessions than I am. But we need to be clear that this is probably very much an "iffy" project, at this point. I don't want to give the impression otherwise, and don't want to raise expectations beyond just the "maybe" stage.

I don't know Andrew (I only just met the man for two minutes last July), but my gut tells me that this really could go either way. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, and hope for the best. :w

you know, Rooster, the notion that... maybe... was enough to get me excited early this morning! I read your post well, but as Andrew has agreed to Passing Ships - after us hearing he won't agree to anything at all -, let's keep our fingers crossed indeed!

ubu

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed this thread back in the Fall....my hope is for Don Cherry: Where Is Brooklyn!!!

I read a post somewhere (probably on AAJ, but it could have been here - probably a month or two ago), that the word on the street was that "Where Is Brooklyn" is slated to be a Conn this year.

Now I don't know if it's true or not, but the post was from someone who was sure enough that they sold their Don Cherry Mosaic set on eBay, on that basis alone.

(Michael didn't mention it specifically, so I'm inclined to say that the rumor is just that, a rumor. But who knows.)

I missed this thread back in the Fall....my hope is for Don Cherry: Where Is Brooklyn!!!

I read a post somewhere (probably on AAJ, but it could have been here - probably a month or two ago), that the word on the street was that "Where Is Brooklyn" is slated to be a Conn this year.

I saw it here, I thought I'd mention it again. B)

Here it is.

Edited by 7/4

I hope Michael picks a title fast - I'm so sick of people referring to this session as Back From The Gig that I could just SCREAM.

Is this Booker's last session as a leader (and one of his last, period)? The title could revolve around that.

How about BACK FROM THE GRAVE?

A Mosaic Select of Hill's unissued 1967 recordings (perhaps along with his unissued 1969 recording), were it to actually happen, would be terrific. Here again are the dates and personnel:

• February 10, 1967: Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Cecil McBee, Teddy Robinson, Nadi Quamar

5 tracks

• May 17, 1967: Ron Carter, Teddy Robinson

6 tracks — the Chained session

• October 31, 1967: Woody Shaw, Robin Kenyatta, Sam Rivers, Howard Johnson, Herbie Lewis, Teddy Robinson

5 tracks

• June 13, 1969: Carlos Garnett, Karl Porter (bassoon), Richard Davis, Freddie Waits, Sanford Allen (vocal) + string quartet

I would think, however, that a single Connoisseur of Compulsion might be reissued first. I seem to recall reading on this board (or another) that this was Andrew's preferred date for re-release.

What's most encouraging, at least to me, is that sessions from out-of-print Mosaics are now receiving fairly regular reissue treatment — sometimes with better sound (as in the case of the recent Sam Rivers and Larry Young reissues). Jackie McLean's Mosaic sessions are slowly being re-released, and I would think Sam Rivers' Contours actually will see reissue some time within the next two or three years ... or possibly sooner. (Heck, a Mobley or Morgan date is practically in every batch of new RVG's or Connoisseurs.)

With so many reissues on the market nowadays, and with my futile attempts on keeping up-to-date with new music, I can honestly say that I can wait, in due time, for all the remaining holy grail Blue Notes to see reissue. As long as Cuscuna is on board, I think most of the Blue Note and Pacific Jazz vaults (and other EMI-related labels) will eventually, and relatively thoroughly, be excavated and reissued. (And in the meantime, we're lucky to have small labels like Water!)

By the way, another reason for being cautious about thinking any or all of the previously unreleased Andrew Hill might see the light of day, is this:

From talking to M.C. (I'm getting this secondhand, from someone who only posts here very, very occasionally anymore), Andrew doesn't like "Dance With Death" very much, and is very cool about releasing it on CD. Now maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. Maybe he really wants to see "Compulsion!" and some other titles out there first, as 'singles' - before digging down to DWD. Maybe he’s really “sorta OK” about DWD, but wants most or all of his more important dates out there first (meaning stuff from the Mosaic).

Or, maybe he really doesn't like DWD – and if so, then the odds aren't necessarily good that he'll like any or all of the previously unreleased material enough to want to see it released to the public. (Nor would I think he’d be all that excited about those extra two half-sessions from the 1st “One for One” LP.)

Lord knows I'm as excited as anybody about seeing this material make it out, but I also don't want to get my hopes up for nothing. Wait and see, wait and see...

This is the worst case scenario, in my opinion:

1) Andrew will eventually agree to Dance With Death, but Compulsion will be first

2) Michael and Andrew will go through the 4 unreleased sessions, and pick out all the releasable tracks. One or two tracks per session will be 'rejected' (although Chained will probably be complete since the Japanese already OK-ed it), and the whole thing will be a two-CD Connoisseur.

Then we weill be thrilled, although there will be a nagging doubt in our minds as to whether those rejected tracks are really all that bad ... :)

Bertrand.

what about talking to Michael re: the Jimmy Smith-Minor Fare, unreleased session? I wonder if it's an exceptional trio date, like "Crazy Baby" or an routine by the numbers type date ("Bucket"). How about possibilities such as "Cherokee", "Lonesome Road", and "Jimmy Smith Trio+ LD" for Conn releases? I would think that titles such as "At the Club Baby Grand" might be more of an RVG thing, but there have been the surprise of more Conn. likely titles from Jimmy in the RVG series in the past like "Groovin at Smalls Paradise", and "Cool Blues", which would have probably been limited editions in the pre RVG series days. As a side note, weren't RVG's originally supposed to be limited editions before they decided to make them regular catalog items to replace older masterings?

From talking to M.C. (I'm getting this secondhand, from someone who only posts here very, very occasionally anymore), Andrew doesn't like "Dance With Death" very much, and is very cool about releasing it on CD. Now maybe he is, and maybe he isn't.

Well, only one way to find out. Since you're the resident 'Hill' man, how about drafting an enthusiastic letter that we can all sign off on....and then ask someone to please have Cuscuna forward it to Hill. Is there anyone here who has heard DWD that wouldn't give it an enthusiastic endorsement by signing on the dotted line? Time to seize the initiative and go on the offensive, right? :D

CRAP! Give the artists and the "producers" some credit. Let someone with more information make decisions. Just because something is on tape does not mean that you NEED to hear it. We all need protection or editing - silly posts notwithstanding.

Alfred Lion decided Andrew's "Judgement" needed to be heard before "Smoke Stack". He decided to leave a quintet date in the can 'cause it would not do Andrew's career any good at that point.

Give these guys some credit. Reputations are at stake here.

Sorry, I forgot....reputations are at stake here --- which is why BN already released the blasted thing on marginal quality vinyl that many of us are now enjoying. It's a jazz board.......on a jazz board people express enthusiasm for things they're interested in. No one suggested catching Cuscuna in a dark alley and putting a blade to his throat over it.....so why the problem? :rolleyes:

For those of us like myself who do not own any Mosaics, my preference would be to see Blue Note reissue some of those sessions which have not seen the light of day on cd format outside the Mosaic aegis.

I would love to see Patton, "That Certain Feeling." Great session. I only have a burn of it. Would jump at the chance to buy a copyrighted version without having to buy a Mosaic set of other sessions I already own.

• 3 weeks later...

Too late to be counted, I figure. But I need to get this out of my system:

Just ten?!?!? That's tough. I might have to cheat a little bit. Here goes...

1-Ike Quebec: The Complete BN 45 sessions (2 disc)

2-Lou Donaldson-LD+3

3-Louis Smith-Smithville

4-Tyrone Washington- Natural Essence

5-Leo Parker- Rollin' with Leo

6-Fred Jackson- Hootin' and Tootin'

and now I cheat

7-Duke Pearson-Profile/Tender Feelins

8-Curtis Fuller- Two Bones/Vol 3/Bone and Bari/The Opener

(why is Curtis so neglected? Have any of these been reissued stateside except on Mosaic?)

9-Thad Jones-Vol 3/Detroit-NY Junction

10-Jackie Mclean-High Frequency/It's Time/Consequence

Of course I'd be delighted to see these as RVGs too. Don't even get me started on me RVG wishlist. Is there a thread for that?

Edited by sjarrell

Too late to be counted, I figure. But I need to get this out of my system:

Just ten?!?!? That's tough. I might have to cheat a little bit. Here goes...

1-Ike Quebec: The Complete BN 45 sessions (2 disc)

2-Lou Donaldson-LD+3

3-Louis Smith-Smithville

4-Tyrone Washington- Natural Essence

5-Leo Parker- Rollin' with Leo

6-Fred Jackson- Hootin' and Tootin'

and now I cheat

7-Duke Pearson-Profile/Tender Feelins

8-Curtis Fuller- Two Bones/Vol 3/Bone and Bari/The Opener

(why is Curtis so neglected? Have any of these been reissued stateside except on Mosaic?)

9-Thad Jones-Vol 3/Detroit-NY Junction

10-Jackie Mclean-High Frequency/It's Time/Consequence

Of course I'd be delighted to see these as RVGs too. Don't even get me started on me RVG wishlist. Is there a thread for that?

Some nice things on your list! And some I'd love to hear, too, as the Parker, the Smith and the Washington.

The Fred Jackson WAS a Conn already, so it's rather unlikely it will come out in this series again (and it's even more unlikely it will come out in the RVG series, I think).

ubu

Some great ideas on this thread (especially from last Fall... Swinging Swede, etc), and some not-so-good ideas (items that have been out on individual CD's already, or in Mosaic sets... I'd prefer something that's not been out on CD...

Here's one that used to get a little love on the BN board:

FREEDOM / Kenny Burrell BN (Japan) GXF 3057

Seldon Powell (bars, fl) Hank Jones (p, org) Kenny Burrell (g) Milt Hinton (B ) Osie Johnson (d)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 27, 1963

tk 13 The Good Life

tk 21 Stairway to the Stars

tk 27 Loie

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 2, 1963

tk 35 I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You

Stanley Turrentine (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (B ) Bill English (d) Ray Barretto (cga)

VGS, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 22, 1964

1449 tk 2 Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere

1450 tk 20 Freedom

1451 tk 25 Lonesome Road

1452 tk 31 G Minor Bash

1453 tk 42 K Twist

Edited by Jim R

HERE TO STAY was out in the US in the late 80's and briefly reappered as part of the Collectors' Choice series. But it is WAY overdue for another issue, superb recording...RVG, RVG, RVG...

Received a letter (actual pen on paper!) from Cuscuna stating that Here to Stay and The Big Beat would eventually make it out as RVG's. 2005, maybe?

McCoy Tyner's Expansions is another title in dire need of a sonic upgrade. Oh, but this is the Connoisseur thread ... :mellow:

Add my vote for Contours, too. My favorite Rivers session, and the Mosaic remastering is brittle.