Hank & Gerald: 90+90

my friends are going, im so jelous- hank jones/gerald wilson 90th b-day concert + special guests incl. joe lo and anthony wilson and ernie watts....i cant wait to hear it

it was a wonderful tribute concert. no ernie watts though. kenny burrell, ernie andrews, bobby hutcherson and jon faddis made appearances.

what songs did gerald do? my friend only left like 5 min on my phone and its so distorted i could hardly hear it....i think part of it is also a speech g.w. did about his music before his 1st song....is that what happened? where were your seats? were u sitting in the front box behind the orchestra pit like i was for genesis?

my friends are going, im so jelous- hank jones/gerald wilson 90th b-day concert + special guests incl. joe lo and anthony wilson and ernie watts....i cant wait to hear it

it was a wonderful tribute concert. no ernie watts though. kenny burrell, ernie andrews, bobby hutcherson and jon faddis made appearances.

Valerie, are we going to get a review?

Valerie, are we going to get a review?

i don't think i'm up to "reviewing" the concert although i probably couldn't do much worse than the review in today's L.A. Times. Heckman said that Hank accompanied Roberta Gambarini on her two tunes which he did not (unless i'm losing it completely). it was Tamir Hendelman who did an excellent job as he's done so many times in the past.

short but sweet: Hank was wonderful as he always is. very low-keyed (the sound could have been upped which would have helped). Gerald was his usual talkative self, even though he stated he would keep it short. bless him that he still has that energy and memory even though his eyes and ears are sadly failing him. his second half was the opposite of Hank's, as it was very energetic and of course loud and lively with the big band. he played some of his "hits" and his son was commissioned to write a piece for his father's 90th called "Virgo" which they did while Gerald sat off to the side, seemingly beaming with pride. some of the guests for the evening were Bobby Hutcherson (who was under-utilized for my taste), Jon Faddis, Kenny Burrell (tasty but boring), Ernie Andrews and Joe Lovano.

sorry but that's it, at least for now, as i must return to my work! all in all, it was a lovely jazz evening, to be sure, although many were disappointed that Nancy Wilson was not able to make it as scheduled due to family illness.

Edited by ValerieB