Eric Dolphy & Booker Little

Late

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't that be about two CD's of material?? That seems like the single most logical repackaging idea you could ever come up with.

The three (it is three, right?) current single-CD issues of this material are quite short as I recall, so it's not even like packing it all on two CD's would result in overly long CD's. Years ago I totaled up the times and got to something like 85 minutes at most (less than 90, I'm almost sure of it). Could it be that the whole thing might even fit on one 82-mintute CD?? (Isn’t that the new max time limit on CD’s these days??)

What are the timings of the current individual CD's??

Truth be told, I've borrowed this material a number of times from friends (a disc or two, here and there, never all three at the same time), but I've held off buying copies for myself precisely because I've assumed FOR YEARS that a unified single package (complete) would be forthcoming in only a matter of another year or two. (And I've thought that for going well on 10 years now.)

Wouldn't that be about two CD's of material?? That seems like the single most logical repackaging idea you could ever come up with.

The three (it is three, right?) current single-CD issues of this material are quite short as I recall, so it's not even like packing it all on two CD's would result in overly long CD's. Years ago I totaled up the times and got to something like 85 minutes at most (less than 90, I'm almost sure of it). Could it be that the whole thing might even fit on one 82-mintute CD?? (Isn’t that the new max time limit on CD’s these days??)

What are the timings of the current individual CD's??

Truth be told, I've borrowed this material a number of times from friends (a disc or two, here and there, never all three at the same time), but I've held off buying copies for myself precisely because I've assumed FOR YEARS that a unified single package (complete) would be forthcoming in only a matter of another year or two. (And I've thought that for going well on 10 years now.)

You're underestimating the length--the session yielded 3 LPs's worth of material, plus 3 unissued tracks (alt take of "Bee Vamp", "God Bless' the Child" & "Stratus Seeking", IIRC).

It is extremely annoying that this hasn't been issued as a single set, aside from the LP-era Great Concert & the expensive Prestige box set.

Well, it'll be only a few years until the date is past the 50-year limit & the Andorran folks will jump on it.... so not too long to wait for a set.

I'm starting to turn around on these Andorran labels, etc. If the major labels or the labels that own the material aren't doing anything at all, or are fucking up the releases, might as well let somebody else do it.

Considering they did the Red Garland at the Prelude 2 disc set, which is hardly ever going to be a huge seller, the Complete Dolphy/Little Five Spot recordings seem a bit of a no brainer.

Also, Blue Note did make a point of putting Dolphy's name on the cover of the recent Mingus Live at Cornell set, so clearly his name has some currency.

What is the "recorded order" of this material? It's not obvious from the discographies I've consulted. Looks like ten tracks total.

From a user on Emusic: "If you are interested in hearing the concert in chronological order--or at least in the sequence as recorded by Prestige--here is the set list (according to Vladimir Simosko and Barry Tepperman's discography): 1) Status Seeking, 2) God Bless the Child (solo!), 3) Aggression, 4) Like Someone in Love, 5) Fire Waltz, 6) Bee Vamp, 7) The Prophet, 8) Number Eight (Potsa Lotsa), 9) Booker's Waltz, 10) Bee Vamp (alternate take). "

What is the "recorded order" of this material? It's not obvious from the discographies I've consulted. Looks like ten tracks total.

From a user on Emusic: "If you are interested in hearing the concert in chronological order--or at least in the sequence as recorded by Prestige--here is the set list (according to Vladimir Simosko and Barry Tepperman's discography): 1) Status Seeking, 2) God Bless the Child (solo!), 3) Aggression, 4) Like Someone in Love, 5) Fire Waltz, 6) Bee Vamp, 7) The Prophet, 8) Number Eight (Potsa Lotsa), 9) Booker's Waltz, 10) Bee Vamp (alternate take). "

Thanks!

Well, it'll be only a few years until the date is past the 50-year limit & the Andorran folks will jump on it.... so not too long to wait for a set.

Not if the European limit is extended to 95 years as proposed by the European Commission.

p.s. is Andorra EU?

don't think they'll be affected... btw on my james moody/kenny barron argo/lonehill twofer i noticed a strange writing... "licensed by Long Horn inc. D.L. AND 174-2007 - made in the EU Cover & inside booklet photos: x" whatever that means (lh=lonehill=longhorn...?) almost sounds as if they "licensed" it from an Andorrean company who got it out of public domain and then printed it in spain....