TAMPA LP-12: Shorty And The Lighthouse All-Stars

Interesting item ... I missed this LP two or three times on eBay a couple of years ago. It was first released as a 10in LP on the Skylark label ("Jam Session Vol. 2" and includes four tracks. "Big Boy" (or "M.B.B." (aka "More Big Boy") as it was billed on the LP issues) takes up all of side 1, and side 2 has 3 tracks: "Whispering" "You Know I'm In Love With You" (vocals by Vivian Garry) and "I Get A Kick Out Of You".

"Big Boy" also was on the "Jazz Americana" sampler (Tampa TP-11).

Yes Pt 1 and 2 of Big Boy took up the 78 singles issues (this is why it occupied a whole 10in LP side).

A lot of those Tampa LPs have been reissued as repro 12in LPs by VSOP in the 80s/90s but I've never seen LP-12 by the Lighthouse All Stars. If it was reissued I want it too! (It has a nice cover drawing by Maurice Childs too)

BTW, a follow-up to Big Boy ("Big Girl") is on the Lighthouse All Stars Vol. 3 LP on Contemporary.

• 2 months later...

i have the BIG BOY 78 from this session but i do not know the rest of the LP cuts- in fact i overlooked that there even WAS a whole LP issue! just wanted to see the info for this date.....thnx

I wrote an article for Names & Numbers (issue 42) that traced the history of the initial recordings of the Lighthouse All Stars, BIG BOY Parts 1 & 2, being the first commercial release of the LHAS on a Skylark 78. The owner of Skylark/Tampa reissued BIB BOY numerous times on various formats, 45 single, 45 EP, 10" LP, 12" LP, etc.

Jim