Check Out The Flutes @ 0:44

JSngry

Flutes? Those were the same seagulls@00:02! Let's see, which jingle arrangers were dropping acid in 1964?

The lead trumpet is bad mf. Wonder who that was?

Those are flutes?

Yeah, those are flutes. Took me a few times through to convince myself of it, but yeah, those are flutes, or maybe/more likely piccolos.

Vocals, of course, by the Hi-Lo's. And a totally screaming lead trumpet. Every time I hear something like this these days, it kinda makes me sad that about 98.7% of everybody just don't know what that shit sounds like live. it'll knock you flat on your ass and not let you back up.

If somebody involved in this wasn't dropping acid, they soon would be, if there was any justice in the world,,,

What's wrong with my computer, almost everytime i look at a youtube link, i end up with the video refusing to play saying it is no longer available.

Reload the page when you get that "no longer available" message. I've had this happen frequently on my computer lately as well, but when I reload the page the video is there. Not sure what's up with that. Of course, there are times when the error message is legitimate and the video really has been pulled.

What's wrong with my computer, almost everytime i look at a youtube link, i end up with the video refusing to play saying it is no longer available.

Reload the page when you get that "no longer available" message. I've had this happen frequently on my computer lately as well, but when I reload the page the video is there. Not sure what's up with that. Of course, there are times when the error message is legitimate and the video really has been pulled.

Does not work, i've sent a message to Youtube, let's that they'll answer something else than they are no longer available to correct this problem.

Sounds like piccolos !

Yeah, the more I listen, the more I think so too.

Who the fcuk writes shit like that for a freakin' HERTZ commercial? Even then? I mean, you got the budget for the jingle, you got the budget for a full-ish big band, you got the budget for the Hi-Lo's, now you gonna, what, add to the budget by telling all the saxists to bring piccolos & pay them doubling fees? Or even better yet, hire piccolo players just for those two bars?

Apparently so. Because the money would be there. The money would be there. Because the arranger sold the account rep who sold the client that it was all necessary to make the proper impact. Hell, nobody probably even mentioned piccolos outside of the arranger and the contractor. And the money was there. The money was there.

And so were the piccolos.

Wow.

And the money was there. The money was there.

Wow.

Yeah - the money was definitely there in advertising around that time. Check out that 'Mad Men' TV show.

And around this time didn't Yardley (I think it was them) use Herbie's 'Maiden Voyage' as an advert backing track? Rare lapse from bad taste. :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

Different bari player every take!

The whole saxophone section! The driver keeps missing the car seat so....fire the band.

Maybe only one take a day?

I thought that was part of the joke, reinforced by the increasingly compressed rhythm of the editing and the anxiety displayed by Jack Lemmon and Louis Nye at one point -- that the whole shtick was so elaborate that when they screwed up everyone had to start over from scratch the next day (with subs in the band being inevitable). Also, as a commentator on YouTube explains, when the actor finally lands in the seat properly, he takes a puff on a cigarette and says (in the English-language original), "Man -- that's coffee!" I need to see this movie. And the Hi-Los are fabulous -- that "shake"!

I saw Good Neighbor Sam in the theatre w/my folks back when it was new. I was, like, 8 1/2 at the time and didn't notice Romy Schneider nearly as much as I did seeing "how they made" the Hertz ads, which ran regularly on TV back then.

And now, hey, Romy Schneider is much beautiful, but DAMN, those piccolos! :g

The whole saxophone section! The driver keeps missing the car seat so....fire the band.

I thought that was part of the joke, reinforced by the increasingly compressed rhythm of the editing and the anxiety displayed by Jack Lemmon and Louis Nye at one point -- that the whole shtick was so elaborate that when they screwed up everyone had to start over from scratch the next day (with subs in the band being inevitable). Also, as a commentator on YouTube explains, when the actor finally lands in the seat properly, he takes a puff on a cigarette and says (in the English-language original), "Man -- that's coffee!" I need to see this movie. And the Hi-Los are fabulous -- that "shake"!

Different conductor, too (or at least different clothes). AND the Hi-Lo's are wearing different clothes on each take: Sweaters, then shirts and ties, then jackets.

CONTINUITY!!!!!

As for the budget on corporate ads, yeah some companies spread the dough pretty thick. I took some arranging lessons with Manny Mendelson in Chicago and he had/has the account with United Airlines for all of those Rhapsody in Blue ads. Every time they did a new ad, even if they wanted the essentially the same music, they would pay Manny to "re-orchestrate", then book the studio downtown, then contract a small orchestra (usually CSO players) and re-record the whole thing. Session after session... And the sessions would be long enough to record :30, :60, :15, :20 spots (as opposed to editing in post).

There was a guy (or group) at United Airlines or an ad agency who runs the ad campaign, and his (their) salary was justified in part by the size of the budget for what they're working on. The bigger the annual budget, the more important that guy must be. ;)

There apparently was also a rush near the end of the fiscal year to "zero out" the account by doing a whole bunch of ads in a short period of time. Thus justifying the big budget for this year, and a bigger one for next year.

Nice work, if you can get it.

Edited by DukeCity

Different conductor, too (or at least different clothes). AND the Hi-Lo's are wearing different clothes on each take: Sweaters, then shirts and ties, then jackets.

CONTINUITY!!!!!

As for the budget on corporate ads, yeah some companies spread the dough pretty thick. I took some arranging lessons with Manny Mendelson in Chicago and he had/has the account with United Airlines for all of those Rhapsody in Blue ads. Every time they did a new ad, even if they wanted the essentially the same music, they would pay Manny to "re-orchestrate", then book the studio downtown, then contract a small orchestra (usually CSO players) and re-record the whole thing. Session after session... And the sessions would be long enough to record :30, :60, :15, :20 spots (as opposed to editing in post).

There was a guy (or group) at United Airlines or an ad agency who runs the ad campaign, and his (their) salary was justified in part by the size of the budget for what they're working on. The bigger the annual budget, the more important that guy must be. ;)

There apparently was also a rush near the end of the fiscal year to "zero out" the account by doing a whole bunch of ads in a short period of time. Thus justifying the big budget for this year, and a bigger one for next year.

There was an agency in south Florida that paid voice talents ridiculously well. They used me regularly for a period of about 12 weeks. Then it stopped, and then I found out they closed shop. Probably because they were so damn expensive with the client's money! Seriously, they'd do one year buy-outs on a regional TV spot for two grand. I never had to bargain with them, I'd ask what they were looking to pay, they'd tell me, my jaw would drop, and I'd say "that's cool."

Best one though was when they paid me not record. See, they booked me for a gig on a Monday morning, and Friday afternoon they called me to say that they had to reschedule the session, and I was like, fine, no problem. Then they said, "We'll pay you your fee of course." And I was stunned.

The thing was, they were treating a non-Union talent like a Union talent. If you cancel a union gig without twenty four hours notice (not including weekends) the talent is supposed to get the session fee anyway. Only thing was, their session fees were way over SAG or AFTRA rates.

So I got paid exceptionally well, and twice no less, for recording one spot one time.

As a friend of mine who used to do a lot of freelance technical writing for Sony once explained to me, the worst thing you can do for yourself in a corporate setting is say, " I can do that for less money (or with fewer people)."

Sounds like piccolos !

Yeah, the more I listen, the more I think so too.

Who the fcuk writes shit like that for a freakin' HERTZ commercial? Even then? I mean, you got the budget for the jingle, you got the budget for a full-ish big band, you got the budget for the Hi-Lo's, now you gonna, what, add to the budget by telling all the saxists to bring piccolos & pay them doubling fees? Or even better yet, hire piccolo players just for those two bars?

Apparently so. Because the money would be there. The money would be there. Because the arranger sold the account rep who sold the client that it was all necessary to make the proper impact. Hell, nobody probably even mentioned piccolos outside of the arranger and the contractor. And the money was there. The money was there.

Wow.

All that, AND you get 20 months to pay!