Happy 4th of July

The worst day of the year for pets.....our dog HATED fireworks. We never had any, but they were all over the neighborhood.

Yeah, they are going pretty strong over here (I'm on the south side tonight). These ones look like they came over the Indiana border, since they are a lot more powerful than the ones you get in yuppie neighborhoods. But the dumbfucks around me are setting them off in the middle of the street, blocking traffic and generally causing havoc. These fireworks are designed to be set off in parks or basically rural areas, not in the midst of a bunch of houses (woodframe no less). I'm not very happy. This will probably be the last 4th I spend with the in-laws.

I can see the fireworks from my windows, but it seems to me that there is less such activity this year.

I recall one 4th of July when a bunch of us tenants assembled on the roof of our building (we had a roof garden of sorts back then and no boring yu[[ie-type coopers) with drinks in hand to watch the Macy's fireworks. We ha done this many times before, but the ending was particularly spectacular that year--we all went ooooh and aaaaah, applauding before descending to our respective apartments.

That night, the news had a story about the Macy's fireworks barges having blown up--people were killed!

After that, they put a halt to the Macy's fireworks displays for a few years.

I can see the fireworks from my windows, but it seems to me that there is less such activity this year.

I recall one 4th of July when a bunch of us tenants assembled on the roof of our building (we had a roof garden of sorts back then and no boring yu[[ie-type coopers) with drinks in hand to watch the Macy's fireworks. We ha done this many times before, but the ending was particularly spectacular that year--we all went ooooh and aaaaah, applauding before descending to our respective apartments.

That night, the news had a story about the Macy's fireworks barges having blown up--people were killed!

After that, they put a halt to the Macy's fireworks displays for a few years.

We can see the City fireworks from our driveway.

What I noticed was a lot less "home" fireworks [Piccolo Pete, Roman Candle, etc] this year.

The USA's celebration is three days later than Canada's, on July 1. My friend Tom Williams (a Torontonian) is living in Laguna Beach, California, running a little office supply/internet depot. Still a proud Canadian, he put out some Canada Day specials on the 1st....

He writes:

My customers as usual are not too up on Canada and why I would wish them Happy Canada Day.

"What would Canada be celebrating?"

Becoming a country.

"What were you before?"

A colony.

"Whose colony?"

Britain

"Really?"

Yes.

"Who did you fight?"

No one.

"Then how did you become a country??"

We asked.

:g

Not worth keeping a colony that can't grow sugar or tobacco or cotton.

MG

A buddy and I took the four kids to watch the DC display and were perfectly situated on an elevated grassy slope on the Virginia side of the Potomac. About 15 minutes prior to the start of The Big One, a whole bunch of fireworks were set off by folks parked about a half-mile in front of us.......between our location and the Pentagon...with DC in the background. All of the smoke from these fireworks formed a sizeable cloud which, given the still air, just sorta hung there and pretty well blocked from view the larger show. At best you might see the outer edge of a massive shell burst......but more often it was simply a brief orange/reddish flash or a red glow behind the cloud and it was like viewing a near total solar eclipse. :ph34r: Interesting to say the least.

eclipse1.jpg

Hadn't planned on it to coincide with the Fourth, but I've been reading Stephen W. Sears' "Gettysburg" and thinking of necessity of what so many thousands of men on both sides gave up during those three days in July (1-3), 145 years ago. To encounter in detail what happened in that battle is almost more than mind and heart can bear. Sears' book is the best account of a battle I've ever read, alongside Richard Frank's "Guadalcanal."