non-BN STUDIO dates, first released 20 years or more after recorded

What are your favorite STUDIO dates (originally recorded for any label other than Blue Note), that had their first-ever release to the public roughly 20 or more years after they were first recorded.

(Studio material NOT originally recorded FOR Blue Note, but later released BY Blue Note can be included in this thread.)

Also, for anything recorded after 1988 (20 years ago), then any studio material first released more than 10 years after it was originally recorded (if it was recorded after 1988).

NO LIVE DATES. STUDIO MATERIAL ONLY.

and NO BLUE NOTE dates. (unless they were originally recorded by someone OTHER THAN Blue Note, and later released by Blue Note.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I don't think this thread has enough color or is BOLD enough.

Well, it certainly didn't if two of the first three examples given were of live dates, and I specifically asked for STUDIO dates only.

I've added color and some size changes to the first post. :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Some of the unreleased Blue Notes are as good as anything that was issued when new. I especially like:

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Grant Green - Nigeria

Hank Mobley - A Slice Of the Top

Sonny Clark - My Conception

also:

Bud Powell/Don Byas - A Tribute To Cannonball (Columbia)

With a little thought, I can definitely come up with plenty more!

in addition to Stereojacks little Blue Note list, there's also Lee Morgan's "The Rajah" (I know many don't like it), and Stanley Turrentine's "Comin' Your Way". Also I'm not sure though when those came out first: the first Blue Mitchell album and those Grant Green w/Sonny Clark albums.

Some of the unreleased Blue Notes are as good as anything that was issued when new. I especially like:

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Grant Green - Nigeria

I've purposely kept Blue Note out of this thread -- since there are SO many BN studio dates that were released years later.

So, NO BLUE NOTE DATES, unless they were recorded for some other label, and then later released by Blue Note.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Lee Morgan - Tom Cat

Grant Green - Nigeria

I've purposely kept Blue Note out of this thread -- since there are SO many BN studio dates that were released years later.

So, NO BLUE NOTE DATES, unless they were recorded for some other label, and then later released by Blue Note.

My bad. I need to look at the thread title a little more carefully. :unsure:

i have a few good 'ns that I believe meet the criteria set forth above:

Bud Powell - Plays Charlie Parker on Roulette

Stan Getz - studio date on Verve with Gary Burton from the '60s, one with chick remains mostly unissued!

Sonny Rollins - the Alternative... leftovers from the '60s on RCA, first issued in FRance, 20 years+?

Eric Dolphy/Chico Hamilton - Ellington Suite, first version

Miles Davis - various bits and pieces on the boxes, despite the carping from some corners,ther's good stuff there...and not so good too.