USB turntables

Christiern

I have a few hundred 45s and EPs that I never play, mostly because they need attention every two or 3 minutes. So, I have decided to buy a USB turntable--nothing fancy, just something that will allow me to make transfers and program them for CD or DVD burning.

There is a really inexpensive one, which probably will do the trick for my very undemanding (no Steve Hoffman :)) need.

Bargain Grace

Then there is this one, only $30 more

Has anybody here tried either of them?

That ion one is the exact same as my battery powered Numark that I take recordshopping. It's good for sampling vinyl in the wild but frankly sucks as a playback device. All the other USB tables I've seen start with a really cheap turntable and go from there. Do you already have a 'table? You'd be better off running the tape out of your system to the in on your soundcard than any of the USB decks I've seen out there.

Unless you're not picky at all about quality and don't mind if the end result sounds like a children's record player from the 60s. ;)

I have a Numark TTUSB and it works reasonably well. I can't get cd-quality sound out of it, but it did at least let me digitize my small vinyl collection and listen to them on my iPod. The software is easy to use on a Mac, and I know you're a Mac guy, Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

I record to a standalone CD recorder (a Marantz), then use Amadeus Pro on my Mac to convert into mp3's. The process works well, and allows me to normalize tracks that need it (i.e. make them louder), do fade-outs on applause, etc. It also allows me to rip at vbr q2. The process can take an hour per LP (or 12 tracks from 45's), so be prepared for that.