The quit smoking thread

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all. ... I guess that pack of cigs in the kitchen drawer wasn't so tempting after all. I completely forgot about them, and so failed to bring them to work for my still-smoking co-worker. But I'm home again for a spell now and will take them in when I head back. ...

7/4, you're exactly right about changing behavior patterns. And I should have double checked that there were no cigs in the house. I was a little stunned for a second when I saw them there in the back of the drawer. And I really like Quincy's reward system!! :excited: I'll work on that.

I figure that if I didn't start up again during my divorce in 2006, I must be completely done with it.

I know what you mean. From the wrong side, unfortunately... :lol:

I was recently divorced also, and making some positive changes in my life is partly what this is all about. That, and the doctor reading the riot act to me ... again. :cool:

Thanks all. ... I guess that pack of cigs in the kitchen drawer wasn't so tempting after all. I completely forgot about them, and so failed to bring them to work for my still-smoking co-worker. But I'm home again for a spell now and will take them in when I head back. ...

7/4, you're exactly right about changing behavior patterns. And I should have double checked that there were no cigs in the house. I was a little stunned for a second when I saw them there in the back of the drawer. And I really like Quincy's reward system!! :excited: I'll work on that.

Yeah!!! One step at a time - I think Quincy is right about gifts or rewards or whatever you want to call them, too.

Yeah!!! One step at a time - I think Quincy is right about gifts or rewards or whatever you want to call them, too.

:tup

(The Mosaics angle sound good) :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I guess you've inspired me, papsrus; just reached 48 hours as a nonsmoker. I figure another 24 and I'll be home free. So to speak...

congrats! made two (maybe half-hearted) attempts in response to this thread but with no success so far... what i did give up after this thread was my other habit of eating 500 grams of chocolate a day which i'd been carrying with me for a year - giving that one up was so easy it was ridiculous... thought it would be good to know i quit anything at least (and 500 grams of chocolate aren't that cheap or healthy either i guess)

Well, I guess you've inspired me, papsrus; just reached 48 hours as a nonsmoker. I figure another 24 and I'll be home free. So to speak...

Well done! The first few days are the most difficult. I could not have done it alone, so if you need any suggestions, check in here and I'll pass along what I've learned from the program I used.

Few important things to reiterate:

1. Drink tons of water during the first week to flush the nicotine out of your system.

2. Change up your routines so that you don't fall into traps where you really crave one. If you had coffee first thing in the morning, for example, take a shower first thing in the morning instead. Mix it up.

3. The cravings will come, but they will pass in 3-5 minutes whether you act on them or not.

4. Having a cigarette will NOT satisfy your craving, it will only feed it. ... you'll just want another, and another.

5. Find some small exercise (walking, even) that will allow you to enjoy breathing fresh air again! I've really found that I'm enjoying just breathing more clearly. And there is an initial benefit once you quit, as far as improved breathing goes. Let me know if you feel that, because I sure did, and the clinic confirmed that this was an immediate benefit.

Those are the big ones that really help me. Don't give in to the cravings and enjoy breathing again.

congrats! made two (maybe half-hearted) attempts in response to this thread but with no success so far... what i did give up after this thread was my other habit of eating 500 grams of chocolate a day which i'd been carrying with me for a year - giving that one up was so easy it was ridiculous... thought it would be good to know i quit anything at least (and 500 grams of chocolate aren't that cheap or healthy either i guess)

It's great that you're trying with the smoking. The shame (if that's the right word) is not in falling off the horse. The shame is in not trying to get back on it again.

I'd encourage you to ask for help from your doctor, or any doctor.

Breathing is a wonderful thing!! :g

I did a test last week, got up in the morning and waited to see how long I could go without a cigarette. I managed about 1 hour and 45 minutes, then I was in the car heading to the store to buy a pack. Doesn't mean I won't try again soon, but it does kind of make you realize the strength of the addiction.

I've been smoking 1 1/2 packs a day of Marlboro reds since 1984.

I'm such a basket case in general at the moment that I'm afraid what I might do if I add nicotine withdrawals into the mix.

51+iiGAdsRL._SS500_.jpg

51%20iiGAdsRL._SS500_.jpg

:g actually i bought precisely this thing on behalf of my girlfriend yesterday and even though i haven't eaten anything since a piece of bread in the morning today, it's still unopened

Edited by Niko

I've been having problems with sugar cravings for a while...I have to keep away from that stuff!

Sugar ... forget it. One thing at a time for me. I have half a fresh peach pie in the fridge. Whipped cream on top. It is unbelievably tasty!

Which reminds me ... my dad, a retired physician (who you would think might have some regard for diet) looked me straight in the eye as he was chewing on a piece of fudge the other day and said, with a straight face: "It would really take a lot of chocolate to make me sick."

I laughed out loud. Like a kid, he is.

(I was chewing on some fudge, too). :w

Ah ... good times, good times.

Well, I passed through so many dangerous addictions and compulsive/selfdestructive behaviors since my teenagerhood (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, unsafe kinky sex, driving motorbikes too fast, music shopping) then I am pround of myself for being still alive and in health, just smoking ten/fifteen handrolled cigarettes per day and a couple of glass of wine for dinner.

Yeah, I basically stopped drinking years ago -- all but the occasional glass of red wine, maybe a martini once a year or something. Drugs, too -- many, many years ago. Cigs is without a doubt the toughest to quit, maybe because it was the only true addiction. The other stuff ... nah.

I have an addiction to sweets. That's my biggest vice. I never started smoking because my dad did and I didn't like it, even from a young age. Never tried pot for the same reason. Did my drinking phase in college, now I rarely have a beer. I can't drink wine anymore because the sulfates make me break out.

But man, I can throw down the sweets! Popsicles, ice cream, candy, Jell-O, chocolate, it doesn't matter. As long as it's sweet, I like it! :)