The quit smoking thread

My dad used to be a very heavy smoker though, in common with most guys his generation until around 35 years ago. Stopped after seeing a TV documentary where they disected a heavy smoker's lung and the black gunk oozed out. Freaked him out (as it did me too) and he's never touched them since.

My father was a heavy smoker. Then one day at work, a presentation was made of a health program that was being syndicated. The debut episode was being shown to the salesman to get a feeling for whether they felt the show could be sold in syndication. The featured topic was the dangers of smoking. At the end of the screening, my father took his pack of cigarettes and threw them on the table. Everyone laughed, and at the end of the meeting, someone picked up the pack and tried to give it back to him. And he said, "No, I was serious. I'll never smoke again."

And he didn't. (He's always been proud of his willpower, it was the same when he stopped drinking)

And for those who have been heavy smokers in the past - the damage you've done never really heals itself. 25 years after my father quit smoking, he was hospitalized with pneumonia, and the doctors told him they could tell he had been a heavy smoker.

And yet, the pernicious weed still exerts its control - my younger brother is a cancer survivor (lymphoma) who never completely quit smoking and returned to it afterwards, and my sister never quit either.

Two doctors who counseled me on this said basically the same things you've said Dan.

The damage has been done to my lungs and there is no reversing that. However, like any other muscle in the body, the lungs can be excercized to improve their function. Also, a lot of the crap that's in there now as a result of smoking will clear up, and I will regain some breathing capacity as a result.

Right now my lung capacity is 85 percent of what it should be for a person my age, weight, height, etc. That's not too bad, but without quitting, it would continue to deteriorate at an accelerated pace. I would end up with oxygen tubes shoved into my nose. All in all, quitting seems like the easier alternative.

During a little sit-down session prior to getting the shot Friday, the doctor explained some things about the program and the medications, and then took a few questions. As he was about to wrap things up and do individual exams, I asked him, "You haven't asked us about our motivations. Why?"

His answer was that motivation doesn't really matter. Commitment is what matters. Whatever it takes for that little switch to go off in the back of your head, that's what matters. He said he has seen patients who have had cancer surgically removed from their lungs, yet they still continue to smoke. And cancer patients in treatment who continue to smoke. ... Amazing. Pretty strong motivation, but not much commitment, I guess.

The decision for me is pretty plain. Quit or prepare to deal with any number of diseases that will result. Oh, and premature death. That's somewhat likely. ... Quitting seems like the easiest avenue among all these alternatives.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have my respect and prayers, paps. I've never smoked cigarettes. Both of my parents were smokers when I was growing up until I was 12, when dad quit cold turkey after having tried all kinds of methods to stop. Always admired his will power, and he's told me before he could easily go back. Mom still smokes, despite her best efforts to quit over the years. The sad thing is, when she tries to quit smoking, she becomes impossible to deal with, so much to the point that we are begging her to light up again. I guess you could say my sister and I are two of the exceptions, having come from smoking parents, that neither of us are smokers.

Addictions suck, whether they be cigarettes, internet, jazz.... if it controls you (as the last two do me), then it sucks. So, like I said, I wish you luck, paps.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

OK. It's been three weeks. I haven't had a single puff since the initial treatment. I'm off all the medications. I suffered minimal and fleeting (hardly worth mentioning) physical withdrawal symptoms. And, I'm a nonsmoker now.

And there are immediate payoffs: I can breathe noticeably better, I enjoy walking up stairways, or just taking walks without getting fatigued. I didn't gain any weight to speak of (in fact, overall I've lost 10 pounds in the last month or so), and really, the quality of my diet has improved significantly. I did go for the first two weeks without any (zero) coffee. I was drinking tons of water and figured coffee would only make me want a cigarette, so I avoided it. I resumed drinking coffee about a week ago and now I can easily enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning or after meals without any urge for a cigarette whatsoever.

All in all, it's been a fantastic process. For a hard-core nicotine addict such as I was, this program is working beautifully. And at this stage, the single most important thing for me is facing the fact that I can never, ever have a single puff of smoke again (nor do I want to), much like an alcoholic.

It's a beautiful thing. :tup

Still, I know that there will come a time 6 months or a year from now when I find myself in a highly stressful situation, and that will be a test. But half the battle is knowing that the stress will happen, and being prepared ahead of time. There are much better tools for dealing with stress that smoking.

His answer was that motivation doesn't really matter. Commitment is what matters. Whatever it takes for that little switch to go off in the back of your head, that's what matters.

Glad to hear someone say that. I was the sort who used to have to have a smoke as soon as I woke up so when I decided to quit (Dec 26, 1999 :)) I used the patch. Although the reasons for getting to the point of wanting to quit were numerous, with near the top was being sick of being controlled by the addiction, what helped me get through it and quit was believing the worst outcome as spelled out on the patch's warning label. There was a warning about the dangers of nicotine overdose, so I told myself if I even tried to smoke one cigarette while wearing the patch it could strike me down dead. Silly I know as I've seen people in the summer outside of bars smoking with patches on, but this was my last line of defense in staying committed to quitting. Hey, whatever works!

It's a very strange these addictions. I gave up morning coffee for a few years too as it was so associated with smoking. Drinking cocktails can still bring out long ago cravings whereas wine or beer most likely won't. Once I got through the 2nd year or so it was exceedingly rare that I'd crave a smoke (not counting family reunions. :lol:) But oddly enough now 8 1/2 years later I've had more urges for smoke this year than probably the past 5 combined. Haven't acted on those urges and feel pretty strongly that I won't, but it is a bit of a head scratcher.

But oddly enough now 8 1/2 years later I've had more urges for smoke this year than probably the past 5 combined. Haven't acted on those urges and feel pretty strongly that I won't, but it is a bit of a head scratcher.

Believe me, I can relate. It was just past 8 1/2 for me, and like a damned fool, I gave in. Now I've got to go through it all over again. Maybe it was nostalgia for that morning coughing bout...

But oddly enough now 8 1/2 years later I've had more urges for smoke this year than probably the past 5 combined. Haven't acted on those urges and feel pretty strongly that I won't, but it is a bit of a head scratcher.

Believe me, I can relate. It was just past 8 1/2 for me, and like a damned fool, I gave in. Now I've got to go through it all over again. Maybe it was nostalgia for that morning coughing bout...

I mentioned higher in the thread that one of the things the doctor I went to see told me was that you will get cravings. The thing is, they only last 2-5 minutes whether you act on them or not. His advice is that when they come, find a little 5-minute project to occupy you until they pass. Wash the dishes, tidy up the yard, rearrange your jewel case collection, whatever. ... They pass whether you act on them or not. That was hugely reassuring to me, as I'd gotten to the point where I was actually afraid of dealing with the cravings (which, thankfully, have been basically nonexistent so far).

EDIT: Also, obviously urges that come years down the line are habitual in nature. You find yourself in a situation where a cigarette might feel comfortable. I think the approach there is to change whatever routines you have that are putting you in situations where you think about smoking. Go for a walk after dinner instead of sitting outside with a coffee, for instance. If you have coffee first thing in the morning, take a shower first, then have your coffee. The idea is to break up the routines.

Edited by papsrus

The thing is, they only last 2-5 minutes whether you act on them or not. His advice is that when they come, find a little 5-minute project to occupy you until they pass. Wash the dishes, tidy up the yard, rearrange your jewel case collection

Rearrange the jewel cases in 5 minutes? This is organissimo.org man! ;) (I know, you didn't suggest rearranging the whole thing.)

It was quitting smoking that caused the ole CD collection to multiply like bunnies. Hell, Universal and whatever the names of the labels that are left should put coupons in CDs for the patch. A pack a day habit nowadays buys a lot of CDs in a month.

:lol: ... I'm in! Just gotta be careful not to trip or anything. ...

I walk up three stories to where my work space is. No huffing and puffing anymore. It feels good. When I was smoking, I would just about have to rest to catch my breath by the time I got the the third floor. Terrible.

EDIT: There is an immediate impact as the smoke and crap start clearing out of your lungs.

Edited by papsrus

smoke. one more

then another

go head

i would if it were me. take a hit i quit

ate months gone.

just 1, 2, 72, ten trillion gazzillion more

drags, please.

an passed that there is this rememberence

of not recollecting stinks crushed or wrong

start ways.

but it has been good and so it will be so to do that you have decided

to not do that no anymore.

as if you never started.

more or less accidentally i haven't smoked for two days now and the one thing that changed really quickly was that i started to register how bad the streets around here smell... :)

Where do you live, St. Pauli? ^_^

actually it's a reasonable nice housing area in bonn... bonn does however stink more than most other cities around it (cologne) (we also have slightly higher temperatures here most of the time...) funnily enough recently on tv there was a report about some troubled 14 year old and they tried their best to report about our area as some sort of ghetto ("where gang membership is all that counts"... and the like) ... pretty funny (i mean, groups of three or four 14 year olds smoking cigarettes don't make a place a ghetto)

more or less accidentally i haven't smoked for two days now and the one thing that changed really quickly was that i started to register how bad the streets around here smell... :)

actually it's a reasonable nice housing area in bonn... bonn does however stink more than most other cities around it (cologne) (we also have slightly higher temperatures here most of the time...) funnily enough recently on tv there was a report about some troubled 14 year old and they tried their best to report about our area as some sort of ghetto ("where gang membership is all that counts"... and the like) ... pretty funny (i mean, groups of three or four 14 year olds smoking cigarettes don't make a place a ghetto)

Doesn't make the group a gang either.

Doesn't make the group a gang either.

not really, they rather looked fat and a little troubled - though they did look fierce enough that i wouldn't have dared to tell them they're not a gang

• 3 weeks later...

I'll admit it -- I've been a little weak lately. And, and, and ... I found an unopened (thank goodness) pack of ciggies in a kitchen drawer today. There it was, staring me in the face like the devil himself. ... Kind of a test. I'm taking them in to work tonight to give to a co-worker who smokes. The temptation was moderately strong though.

"Not one puff" ... that's the mantra.

feel better now.

Way to stare it down!

You should consider giving yourself either little gifts or a bigger one as time passes without giving in. You could either keep it neutral and just use what you used to spend on smokes on CDs (or whatever, though be careful about food or drink during this stage) once a week, or bank it and buy a Mosaic after set time. The more you smoked the more you can spend on the gifts for yourself!

"Not one puff" ... that's the mantra.

Exactly. When I quit (6 years now) I knew that it had to be completely- no "reward" cigs.

I figure that if I didn't start up again during my divorce in 2006, I must be completely done with it.

I still drink too much and need to lose weight, though. The fun never stops! :excited:

Congrats on your progress and will power. Keep it up! :tup