Basic jazz 1: Favorite Mobley solo

Big Al

The first in a series of threads just talking about jazz at a simple level. I'll start other threads in this series at irregular intervals (i.e. whenever I feel like it) and I invite you to do the same.

I was listening to Herbie Hancock's "Blind Man, Blind Man" the other night and realized how much I'd forgotten how much I really dig Mobley's solo on this song. Now, I love Mobley anyway, and dig just about every solo of his: the way he bobs & weaves and never loses the groove. Here that style is brought to perfection. Having Tony Williams goad him from beneath, letting Mobley not only ride the groove but take it and run like hell with it, is a treat that I wish had happened more often (they never recorded together other than this, right?).

So, anyway, this is my favorite Hank Mobley solo.

How about you?

The first in a series of threads just talking about jazz at a simple level. I'll start other threads in this series at irregular intervals (i.e. whenever I feel like it) and I invite you to do the same.

I was listening to Herbie Hancock's "Blind Man, Blind Man" the other night and realized how much I'd forgotten how much I really dig Mobley's solo on this song. Now, I love Mobley anyway, and dig just about every solo of his: the way he bobs & weaves and never loses the groove. Here that style is brought to perfection. Having Tony Williams goad him from beneath, letting Mobley not only ride the groove but take it and run like hell with it, is a treat that I wish had happened more often (they never recorded together other than this, right?).

So, anyway, this is my favorite Hank Mobley solo.

How about you?

Have to work by periods, but for Period One Mobley I'll take (off the top of my head) "Nica's Dream" with the Jazz Messengers on Columbia. Such a great track all around, and when I heard it, at that time, it probably was the first Mobley solo that told me he was a great, unique player.

I'm a sucker for ballads and probably one of my favorites is Mobley's solo on "Three Coins In The Fountain" from the recording, Workout. Also, "Alone Together" from Live at the Cafe Bohemia w/Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (Vol 1). Finally, "I Should Care" from the recording, Another Workout. Three examples of Mobley's most beautiful way with a ballad. In my opinion, Hank was one of the great ballad players, right up there with Webster, etc. Beautiful and lyrical solos all the time.

Marla