Warped LPs

Possibly a stupid question, but now that LPs have been around for so many decades:

Has anyone figured out a way to unwarp a warped LP, or at least lessen the warp, without causing other damage?

If people are baking audio tape in convection ovens and eliminating the whine, there MUST be something to fix a warped LP.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Have never found a way to get rid of warps without wrecking the LP. Definitely don't recommend things like sticking it in the oven.

Tend to live with the warp - good tonearms will definitely help in 'riding' the bump. In fact with a very good arm you will be oblivious to anything but the most extreme warp.

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks. How about those turntables that clamp the edges of the albums down? What price range do those start in?

Agree with Sidewinder, I have an expensive turntable with clamp, actually clamp doesn't help with seriously warped records, tonearm does.

Obviosly if you have some 2K to throw away you can try one of these: http://www.axissaudio.com/special/specAir.htm

Thanks. How about those turntables that clamp the edges of the albums down? What price range do those start in?

Agree with Sidewinder, I have an expensive turntable with clamp, actually clamp doesn't help with seriously warped records, tonearm does.

Obviosly if you have some 2K to throw away you can try one of these: http://www.axissaudio.com/special/specAir.htm

Thanks. I just happen to have an extra two grand and nothing to spend it on...

;)

Thanks. I just happen to have an extra two grand and nothing to spend it on...

;)

I knew it, that's why I posted this. ;)

Back in the 78 rpm days, the solution was to place the disc on a flat surface in the sun, with a heavy pane of glass on top. If need be, one could place something to further weigh down the glass. It worked and I'm pretty sure that I also did that with Vinyl™

It looks like one of the good old grandma's recipes and suggestion, but I have a warped David Crosby's record, I'll check yor recipe out. Did you mean direct sun?

BTW wich sun are you referring to: Iceland, NYC, Mississipi, over here we got some pretty though sun.

Back in the 78 rpm days, the solution was to place the disc on a flat surface in the sun, with a heavy pane of glass on top. If need be, one could place something to further weigh down the glass. It worked and I'm pretty sure that I also did that with Vinyl™

It looks like one of the good old grandma's recipes and suggestion, but I have a warped David Crosby's record, I'll check yor recipe out. Did you mean direct sun?

BTW wich sun are you referring to: Iceland, NYC, Mississipi, over here we got some pretty though sun.

Using a close to trashed Stan Getz lp, I once tried that sun + heavy glass panel 'trick' ....and while it did flatten out, the grooves wound up looking like wavy gravy.

Perhaps it sounded like Wavy Gravy as well.

But I like this line from the product description of the Air Tight Disc Flatter:

Cannot repair LP/EPs that have been deformed and damaged by heat

Correct me if I'm wrong, but uh.... isn't that how records get warped in the first place???

But I like this line from the product description of the Air Tight Disc Flatter:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but uh.... isn't that how records get warped in the first place???

Not always. In the wake of the first oil crisis, LPs were made of such thin vinyl that the cellophane wrap was capable of inducing a slight bend to the record. I remember my original copy of Boogaloo Joe Jones' "Snake rhythm rock" was like that.

MG

Not always. In the wake of the first oil crisis, LPs were made of such thin vinyl that the cellophane wrap was capable of inducing a slight bend to the record. I remember my original copy of Boogaloo Joe Jones' "Snake rhythm rock" was like that.

MG

Or more than "slight." I bought some badly warped LPs in the 70s that had never been unwrapped.

I remember complaining about the state of a Mulligan Meets Webster Verve album that was on sale in a store in Place Saint Michel in Paris in the early seventies and thereby learning that the French word for this problem is "ondule". (That e should have an acute accent on it, but how to do that is something else beyond my knowledge!)

I remember complaining about the state of a Mulligan Meets Webster Verve album that was on sale in a store in Place Saint Michel in Paris in the early seventies and thereby learning that the French word for this problem is "ondule". (That e should have an acute accent on it, but how to do that is something else beyond my knowledge!)

Ah! French vocals and accents.

Years ago I spent one day and the whole night editing french subtitles on a 53 minutes documentary for the Antibes Film Festival, I still remember it, go figure! :wacko:

Ah! French vocals and accents.

Years ago I spent one day and the whole night editing french subtitles on a 53 minutes documentary for the Antibes Film Festival, I still remember it, go figure! :wacko:

Yes, the relatively sparing use of accents in Italian is very welcome, but I still wouldn't know how to do 'em on Organissimo posts!

• 4 months later...

i think the right french word is "voilé".

"Ondulé" relates to : 152863353.jpg

and this is a far better experience than a warped record ^_^

Edited by Michel