Dr. Lonnie Smith Corner

Soul Stream

Was that show recorded? Who else was in the band? I'm still looking for an entry point to Locke's music. He just hasn't grabbed me yet. Maybe the Doctor has a fix for that!

"4 Walls of Freedom" is my favorite Joe Locke album.

Happens to also be Bob Berg's last appearance on a studio sesssion

2006, 09:59 AM' post='487975']

Was that show recorded? Who else was in the band? I'm still looking for an entry point to Locke's music. He just hasn't grabbed me yet. Maybe the Doctor has a fix for that!

No, the show wasn't recorded.

It was a outdoor community event from a couple of years ago ( The Clarissa Street Reunion) in Rochester, NY. Rochester is Joe's hometown and about 70 miles from Buffalo ( Lonnie's hometown).

Joe and Lonnie are old friends. Lonnie used to play in Rochester all the times in the old days ( before the turban), and Clarissa Street housed the infamous Pythodd Room. The other players were Rochester locals.

After the concert ( where people from the neighborhood danced in front of the stage), a rather well lubricated fellow and his wife came up to Joe and said " I told my wife when you see a maotherfukcin' xylophone up on a stage, you're goin' to hear some motherfuckin' music!".

A photo of the old Pythodd Room:

Joe has recorded over 25 sessions as a leader and over almost 100 as a sideman since 1977.

Joe Locke

The Joe Locke Discography by Noal Cohen

Her's another:

Edited by marcello

After the concert ( where people from the neighborhood danced in front of the stage), a rather well lubricated fellow and his wife came up to Joe and said " I told my wife when you see a maotherfukcin' xylophone up on a stage, you're goin' to hear some motherfuckin' music!".

:rofl:

This is very good advice. When I'm driving and I see a xylophone I immediately stop and jump out. I've caused some severe auto accidents , but it's been well worth it.

2006, 09:59 AM' post='487975']

No, the show wasn't recorded.

It was a outdoor community event from a couple of years ago ( The Clarissa Street Reunion) in Rochester, NY. Rochester is Joe's hometown and about 70 miles from Buffalo ( Lonnie's hometown).

Joe and Lonnie are old friends. Lonnie used to play in Rochester all the times in the old days ( before the turban), and Clarissa Street housed the infamous Pythodd Room. The other players were Rochester locals.

Joe has recorded over 25 sessions as a leader and over almost 100 as a sideman since 1977.

Joe Locke

Her's another:

Thanks - I see he was on Pucho's "Hideout" - I like his playing on that. (And on "Mucho Pucho" I now see.)

I also love the photo of the Pythodd Room, I guess in the 60s sometime. So how come Wynton was sitting at the table (front right) and Grant Green was playing drums?

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Joe Locke

Her's another:

Thanks - I see he was on Pucho's "Hideout" - I like his playing on that. (And on "Mucho Pucho" I now see.)

I also love the photo of the Pythodd Room, I guess in the 60s sometime. So how come Wynton was sitting at the table (front right) and Grant Green was playing drums?

MG