Dr. Lonnie Smith Corner

Soul Stream

Hey, we talk about Lonnie a lot, but he needs his own home here at the Organissimo BB.

Here's a badass CD that is sort of under the radar. "Chartbusters." The one with Lenny White on drums. Some great playing by Lonnie. One of my favorite later dates by him.

Also, I know we really harped on how unexciting "Boogaloo To Beck" was. However, I've given in a second try this week in the car radio. It's really growing on me. I don't know jack about Beck songs. But Lonnie sounds in the pocket and gets some nice sounds out of the organ on this one. Lots of dynamics too by the DR.... I'll go back on my word and say...GET THIS! :)

Lonnie is always better live than on record it seems.  Someone should just follow him around and record his gigs for a month.  I bet you would get some seriously hip shit that way. 

I've seen him twice live and have been utterly blown away by what he does on the organ.  His records never seem to capture that.

Yes, I think you're right about that. I do think Lou's "Live on the QE2" is quite good and shows Lonnie live. However, nothing really does him justice on record. Part of it is his love affair with the audience. That'll never be shown on a CD. Now a DVD...Hmmmm. A Lonnie live DVD, I'd buy that...twice...just to make sure. :D

Edited by Soul Stream

• 2 years later...

Within his genre, Lonnie Smith is a great musican.

I remember many nights when he would make the women scream when he played ballads, bringing the volume down way, way low and use those whisper effects. He'd squeeze those notes out, fast, then slow, squeeze a single note out slow and slowly raise the volume, bring it down again with some whispering rapid phrases ...bring it up again and end with a big climax....Wow! He really made love to those women.

I don't know about you Chuck, but to me that is Art!

As far as the turban goes; there really is no reason. Just like there is no reason for the "Doctor" tag.

Maybe he's a Doctor of Romance!

lonnie.jpg

Hey, we talk about Lonnie a lot, but he needs his own home here at the Organissimo BB.

Here's a badass CD that is sort of under the radar. "Chartbusters." The one with Lenny White on drums. Some great playing by Lonnie. One of my favorite later dates by him.

Also, I know we really harped on how unexciting "Boogaloo To Beck" was. However, I've given in a second try this week in the car radio. It's really growing on me. I don't know jack about Beck songs. But Lonnie sounds in the pocket and gets some nice sounds out of the organ on this one. Lots of dynamics too by the DR.... I'll go back on my word and say...GET THIS! :)

Lonnie is one of my favourite organists. I can't really choose between him, Patton, Earland, McGriff and McDuff, Holmes, Patterson, Jimmy and Johnny "Hammond" Smiths. They all have different stuff to offer and it's all great.

But that first Chartbusters album seems to sound muffled. The playing is fine but doesn't come through. My copy was manufactured in Denmark; is that the reason it doesn't hit hard?

I also think "Boogaloo to Beck" is a bit unexciting. Lonnie and David do marvellous things that sometimes take my breath away but, when I compare it to "Boogaloo to the Beastie Boys" it's flat. And there's no way Reuben and Andrew are anywhere near the equals of Lonnie and David. But what Reuben always majored in was enthusiasm and that album has the enthusuasm that the Lonnie/David somehow lacks.

For me, Lonnie's two greatest albums are "Live at Club Mozambique", which is the totally exciting funk side of Lonnie, and "Too damn hot", which I think covers the totality of what Lonnie's vision is; funk, Monk, ballads, lazy grooves - oh it's just the right stuff for me.

I saw Lonnie, with Ronnie Cuber and Peter Bernstein and someone subbing (very well) for Idris at Brecon Jazz Festival in 2000. Never seen anything like it in my life! One of the two best gigs I've ever been to.

MG

I'll endorse Chartbusters Vol 1(NYC 6017 2). I've not noticed any sound deficiencies with my copy. Seems to be of US manufacture.

Another one under the radar, from the same producer is Organic Grooves by the Essence All Stars on hipbop essence. The Dr.shares the disc with Joey Defrancesco, Idris Muhammad, Lenny White, Grover Washington, Kenny Garrett and Tony Purrone. Two or three cds on this label are worth investigating.

I'll endorse Chartbusters Vol 1(NYC 6017 2). I've not noticed any sound deficiencies with my copy. Seems to be of US manufacture.

Thanks - looks like I ought to consider replacing my Danish copy with a US one. I can't find it though. (Ever tried looking on Amazon for Chartbusters? Oh God.) Is it still available? Where?

MG

I have the organic grooves thing and it is really good. One of the rare modern recordings by these guys ( save the pattons and some of reuben wilsons ) that I enjoy. I bought another one...booogaloo to bop I think ..cannot remember the full title at the moment.

I have too damn hot though and that really cooks I thought. My favourite Lonnie Smith is either Think or Club Mozambique which is pretty damn good in my opinion.

I also liked his stuff with George Benson (from the 60's)

I also tried the beck thing...did not know who beck was but it was...ok nothing more nothing less

He seems to be the ultimate guru when it comes to creating sounds on the B3. Certainly a complete master of the craft! I find it easy to believe what Jim said about his live performances vs his albums. In my opinion the best Lonnie cd by far is "The Doctor Is In" with Crash, and that is a live recording. "Club Mozambique" comes as a close second. I have some of his more straight-ahead jazzfunk records from the 70's (with more electric keyboards), as well as the earlier BN stuff, and the Benson records. I recently listened to "Too Damn Hot" - and while there were some great grooves, and featured one of my fav drummers Greg Hutchinson, I felt it was just only 'ok'. His solos also seemed too short and non-consistant... Sadly I've never seen him perform live (shame on me!), but but what I've heard about him doing mock snake-charming moves during his solos and other tricks like that, sounds like a blast. Plus, you gotta loove his singing! :P

-->quite a funny pic with Lonnie, DeFran and Monaco (and Lonnie's Jaguar??)

It's wonderful how extremely uncool the other two look.

If Monk had been born a generation later, he'd've been Dr Lonnie Smith.

MG

A couple of years ago I heard the good Doctor with Lou Donaldson at the Jazz Bakery in LA--they were there a week and I was there four nights out of seven! Anyway, I saw the Doctor arrive at the Bakery--he was driven there by a beautiful blonde woman in a fancy car who just dropped him off and sped away. He was all in white with the turban and he was SOOOOO cool as he walked in, smiling and nodding at those of us sitting around waiting.

About ten minutes later a cab pulled up and Lou got out wearing a badass suit, a fedora and was carrying his horn in a ostrich leather case. He was every bit as smooth and cool as the Doctor in his own way.

By the way, these shows SMOKED.

I go hear Lonnie Smith live every single time he is LA . . .

Edited by Allan Songer

• 2 months later...

The Doctor and Lou played a couple of great shows in London this week and they were awesome !

I had the good fortune to watch one of these performances less than 1 foot away from Lonnie's keyboard as they performed to perfection the likes of 'Alligator Bogaloo', 'Reverend Moses' and 'Blues Walk'. Dr Smith was amazing - I'd expected great things from his recordings but in person he is a phenomenon. For my money the greatest jazz organist active in the world at this time.

Lou was also great - some suprisingly fast runs through the likes of 'Cherokee', some very soulful blues and very hip vocals. Staggering that he can still pull this sort of thing off with aplomb. It sounded like the sort of stuff he was doing in the Scorpion Club back in 1970 but - hey - that's fine by me. :D

Big thumbs up too for guitarist Randy Johnstone, who with his Benson-ish style is the perfect complement for this group.

Hope they are back again soon !

:tup:tup

Edited by sidewinder

One of the fascinating things about seeing Lonnie in action at close range was to watch his work on the foot pedals. Amazingly nimble and he seemed to be keeping the movement to a minimum on the left foor so the footwork was very efficient. What he was doing with his feet was incredible in itself but combine that with the simultaneous contortions on the keyboard with masterful control of the dynamics and you have a truly great player. I'm still stunned several days after seeing all of this. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Anyway, I saw the Doctor arrive at the Bakery--he was driven there by a beautiful blonde woman in a fancy car who just dropped him off and sped away. He was all in white with the turban and he was SOOOOO cool as he walked in, smiling and nodding at those of us sitting around waiting.

Strangely enough just as I was buying my first beer at the bar of the Jazz Cafe this guy with a beatific smile and mega-cool turban on walked through the entrance and right past me towards the stage area. He'd gone before I had fully registered the fact... :)

No sign of any blondes !

Edited by sidewinder

I've seen Lonnie in concert with Idris before (around 1998 or so) and I must echo the statements here that his albums never seem to reach the intensity of his live performances. His live performances on ballads can be subversive as hell...he sticks just close enough for the audience to "think" they know what they are hearing...but he's re-harmonizing like crazy and playing the most wacky shit...but only enough for the "hipsters" in the audience to get the joke.

My favorite studio album is Turning Point, followed closely by Drives.