Morals, politics, crime and music

Louis-Ferdinand Seeline, but really, who gives a fuck about rudeness? That's your propriety, get over it or get out: it has nothing to do with anything musical, literary, filmic, culinary and things of that nature, unless you're thinking about dating, living with or having sex with them (at your place, and can't make the quick gitaway).

I remember being 15...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having given this topic a little thought (couldn't sleep), I'd have to say that I have no trouble seperating the artist from the music. I've never been able to relate much to the people that become fans of the person rather than their work, so maybe that explains it.

On the other hand, my least favorite Lee Morgan album is the Lighthouse (Bluenote) set, because whenever I hear his announcements, I think "My god...he sounds like a moron!" So I guess as long as a musician isn't actually killing someone between sets...

I knew a drummer in Paris who recently passed away and was another example of this. When he was straight and sober was a really nice cat and very insightful and one of the baddest drummers I've ever known. But he would get a jones for heroin and get loaded or if he couldn't get it would drink himself into a funk and either way would get really evil..

Deep is in Paris? :unsure:

Danny is very much alive, wouldn't mess with heroin, and wouldn't live in Paris!

I'm not big on biographies, so I don't let the events of a musician's personal life affect my opinion of his/her music. It's not on my mind while I listen to tunes.

I keep wondering about this event (mentioned in a Blakey chronology). What...one too many drinks, then decide to hop in the car and zip off to the border crossing and bitch out some Russkies? :crazy:

- Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (January 13, 1962) Grant Green session (Blue Note)

Coronet, Brooklyn, NY ("tentatively") [db 1/18/62 p.56]

- Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (January 20, 1962) Ike Quebec session (Blue Note)

- Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (January 24, 1962) Art Blakey: The African Beat session (Blue Note)

[db 2/1/62 announced: "Kay Norton, now part owner of the Jazz Gallery, is signing some artists to exclusive contracts - that is, they will play nowhere else in New York City except at the Gallery. Art Blakey is the first on contract." This didn't last long as the July Birdland engagement shows. Why? Because the Jazz Gallery closed around then. - db 8/16/62 p.10]

- Berlin, Germany (February 4, 1962) (private recording) [-F, DM]

- Helsinki, Finland (February 1962) [db 6/21/62 p.43]

"He [blakey] spoke of recent experiences with East German and Soviet police. 'I argued with them,' he emphasized. 'These are good men; they just have an idea. The only way we can overcome this is to come up with a better idea.' During the Messengers' recent engagement in Helsinki, Finland, Blakey said he took a ride to the Finnish-USSR frontier and right away became embroiled in an argument with the Russian border guards." :blink: - db 6/21/62 p.43

- Flonercetret, Copenhagen, Denmark (February 1962) (private recording) [-TN, DM]

- Stockholm, Sweden (February 13, 1962) (private recording) [-F]

I'm not big on biographies, so I don't let the events of a musician's personal life affect my opinion of his/her music. It's not on my mind while I listen to tunes.

I keep wondering about this event (mentioned in a Blakey chronology). What...one too many drinks, then decide to hop in the car and zip off to the border crossing and bitch out some Russkies? :crazy:

I don't. :P