Reissues, what are you REALLY looking forward to??

Rooster_Ties

Gosh, I was so looking forward to "Passing Ships" - (and thrilled about the other Conns coming out too - even if I had most of them in other formats). And I was TOTALLY blown away by the new Miles "Jack Johnson" box, and all it's previously unreleased material.

So, what re-issues are on the horizon that get you even half as excited as either the recent Conns, or the recent Miles box???

In particular, what's being reissued that either has never ever been issued before (a 'new' old release, like "Passing Ships"). Or are there any releases and/or box sets on the horizon that promice some substantial previously unreleased materal??? Or, stuff that's never been on CD before (not even in Japan)??? Stuff like "The Flip".

Look here for new stuff coming out soon: http://jazzmatazz.home.att.net ---> then click on "Upcoming jazz CDs"

In addition to the aforementioned Miles and Eldridge sets, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Woody Herman boxes- the Complete Phillips and the Complete Columbia First and Second Herds Mosaic (2004). Also the Feb./March RVGs (some good titles there-Newk's Time, Cape Verdean Blues, Byrd at the Half Note et al)and the Brookmeyer Select.

Hints have been dropped by Universal, after the success of the first 'Impressed' compilation of 60s UK material earlier this year, that they may see fit to putting out a batch of whole albums from the period including a whole bunch of Ian Carr/Don Rendells and Michael Garricks.

I'll believe it when I see it but here's hoping (Harry Beckett's 'Flare Up' did escape a few weeks back and was well worth the wait).

There is a second volume of 'Impressed' due after Christmas which should allow a few glimpses into this long buried era.

The kind souls looking for my Marsh cd and the Uptown Bird/Diz discs will have to wait 'til the first quarter of "04. Transfer engineer problems with the Bird/Diz (sorted out now) and personal stuff delaying my "mix/edit" of the Marsh.

Sorry for the delays, but the delays make the music better.

CN

Yeah, forgot about the Bird and Dizzy set - that sounds incredible (and sorry Rooster) and even more tempting than the new Hill set :P

I have sorta of forgotten about the Cellar Door stuff. I think this has the potential to be very, very good, although if I am not mistaken, McLaughlin is not on the unissued stuff. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,

Eric

PS - Oh yeah - the Marsh will be on the very short list too ;)

Edited by Eric

I have sorta of forgotten about the Cellar Door stuff. I think this has the potential to be very, very good, although if I am not mistaken, McLaughlin is not on the unissued stuff. Can anyone confirm that?

I understand that there is still some unissued Cellar Door material with McLaughlin, although the majority of it (2/3rds) is without McLaughlin.

From what I've read, though, the material from the first two nights (without McLaughlin) is actually stronger than the material with McLaughlin.