The Pacific Jazz/Our Gang Connection

Dan Gould

Uh, no.

With over 100 page views, I guess I can say that I stumped the panel! :P

The answer is ... organist Paul Bryant. According to the liners of his PJ album Burnin', at the time of the recording he'd been in show business for 20 of his 27 years, including a start on "Our Gang". And he remained an on-screen talent, it says he's since appeared in many television and motion picture productions.

So, he must have appeared on "Our Gang" in the early '40s, since Burnin' was recorded around 1960-'61 and at that point he'd been in show business for 20 years.

Good point. Guess I was being too lazy. Well, for anyone else:

--------

http://www.geo.ed.ac.uk/scotgaz/people/fam...sfirst1477.html

Ella Logan

1913 - 1969

Singer. Born Ina Allan, in Dennistoun (Glasgow), Logan began her career as a child star singing in music halls. By the age of 17, she was appearing in the West End of London.

She toured Europe in the early 1930s and claimed to have snubbed Adolf Hitler in a Cologne nightclub. Having married an American tap-dancer, she moved to the USA and began recording jazz records, She quickly followed this with Hollywood stardom, including films such as 52nd Street (1937) and The Goldwyn Follies (1938). However it was as a singer, particularly in Broadway musicals, that Logan was most successful. Logan returned to Europe during World War II to entertain the troops.

She is the aunt of entertainer Jimmy Logan (1928 - 2001) and, sometime guardian to his singing sister Annie Ross (b.1930).

She died of cancer, but remains better-known in the USA than in her homeland.

-------

I can't figure out that last sentence. What does dying of cancer have to do with her popularity by country. Are people who die of cancer usually more popular in the UK?