Drew Gress' 7 Black Butterflies or Irrational Numbers

7 Black Butterflies is available through yourmusic for $6.99, no strings attached.

I'm actually looking for an actual copy of the album. I don't want to download it. Thanks, Aggie87.

That is an actual copy of the CD (not a download) he's referring to.

But don't you have to subscribe to them or something? Are they another Columbia House scheme? What's the catch?

Edited by bluemonk

They're part of BMG.

All you have to do if you're interested is sign up with them, and then created a "queue" of discs you'd like. They will send them to you at the rate of 1 per month, for $6.99 with free shipping & handling. You can order additional discs at anytime and quit at any time. There's no other catch. No requirement to buy any in the next year or whatever.

Just make sure you have a few discs in your queue at all times, because they supposedly will bill you $6.99 even if you don't have a disc there.

They have some ECM discs, some Nonesuch, some Blue Notes, Verves, etc. Mainly new releases/reissues, but some older stuff.

So you could sign up, buy the Gress, then cancel your membership, if that's all you wanted, and not be out anything, or owe them anything.

Edited by Aggie87

Okay, I understand now, I have to pay $6.99 a month, regardless if I buy a cd or not to subscribe to them. There's always a catch.

I'll stick with Amazon who charges me nothing other shipping and handling to be a member. For example, if I buy a cd that's $5.00, well that would be $7 with shipping. Customers shouldn't have to pay anything other than what it costs to buy the cd. A monthly fee is kind of stupid.

Okay, I understand now, I have to pay $6.99 a month, regardless if I buy a cd or not to subscribe to them. There's always a catch.

I'll stick with Amazon who charges me nothing other shipping and handling to be a member. For example, if I buy a cd that's $5.00, well that would be $7 with shipping. Customers shouldn't have to pay anything other than what it costs to buy the cd. A monthly fee is kind of stupid.

That's not it. They ship you one cd per month for the $6.99. It isn't a membership fee, it's just the cost of the cd. Nothing else.

They're part of BMG.

All you have to do if you're interested is sign up with them, and then created a "queue" of discs you'd like. They will send them to you at the rate of 1 per month, for $6.99 with free shipping & handling. You can order additional discs at anytime and quit at any time. There's no other catch. No requirement to buy any in the next year or whatever.

Just make sure you have a few discs in your queue at all times, because they supposedly will bill you $6.99 even if you don't have a disc there.

They have some ECM discs, some Nonesuch, some Blue Notes, Verves, etc. Mainly new releases/reissues, but some older stuff.

So you could sign up, buy the Gress, then cancel your membership, if that's all you wanted, and not be out anything, or owe them anything.

So I can only buy 1 cd for $6.99 a month? Why can't I buy them for $6.99 all the time? That seems kind of crazy to me.

This is taken from yourmusic.com:

Here's what you can look forward to when you subscribe to yourmusic.com.

1 CD from your Music Queue for $6.99 a month

Access to buy unlimited CDs at the same low price

FREE shipping on all purchases

No matter what type of music you're looking for, you're guaranteed to find it at yourmusic.com. When you find the CDs you want, simply add them to your Music Queue or purchase them immediately!

Your Music QueueYour Music Queue is where you create and customize a list of the CDs you want to add to your collection. You can add, remove or shuffle the order of the CDs in your Music Queue at any time.

You are eligible to receive your first available Music Queue choice as part of your subscription! Every month thereafter we'll send you your next available choice on your monthly anniversary date. Remember, your credit card or PayPal account will be charged $6.99 each month, even if you do not have a CD in your Music Queue. So please be sure to have a CD in your Queue one day before Your Music Date. Otherwise, we cannot ship a CD for that month, and your credit card or PayPal account will still be charged.

For complete subscription details, please read the Terms and Conditions. If you can't decide what to pick, we have plenty of recommendations to help you get started.

Satisfaction GuaranteedIf you're not satisfied, for any reason, you can cancel your subscription. Simply send us an e-mail or go to the Manage Your Subscription section within Your Account.

You may reactivate your subscription at any time. To reactivate, contact us at reactivate@yourmusic.com. Be sure to include the e-mail address you used for your previous yourmusic.com subscription and your current e-mail address.

Unbeatable Prices, Every DayAs a subscriber of yourmusic.com, you can purchase as many CDs as you want, whenever you want. All CDs on yourmusic.com are only $6.99 each, and shipping is always free!

They're part of BMG.

So I can only buy 1 cd for $6.99 a month? Why can't I buy them for $6.99 all the time? That seems kind of crazy to me.

You can buy as many as you want per month for $6.99 apiece, all the time.

As I've been trying to say, just make sure you have a few discs in your queue at all times, because they will take the top one off your queue and send it to you each month, and bill you $6.99 for it.

Anything else you want to buy is still $6.99 per disc.

These CDs are cheaper than you can purchase them anywhere else new. If this doesn't make sense to you I apologize for bringing it up.

Edited by Aggie87

You're missing something, and I'm not sure what it is. I give up.

Okay I think I understand what you're saying, so they send a cd to you regardless if you wanted it or not? Let's say I put three albums in my cart and just leave them in there, am I obligated to buy any of them? Why do I have to leave cds in my cart?

Edited by bluemonk

You create a queue of (single) discs from their inventory that you'd LIKE to have, like this:

1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

2. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

3. Drew Gress - 7 Black Butterflies

4. Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

They take Disc 1 (Miles Davis) and send it to you in June, and bill your credit card $6.99. The other discs bump up in the queue then, so that Coltrane is Disc 1.

Then in July they take the Coltrane disc and send it to you, and bill your credit card $6.99. The other discs bump up in the queue, so that Gress is Disc 1.

This goes on as long as you are keep an account going with them. You can cancel any time, and you can add and subtract discs from your queue at any time, or re-order them. The queue can only be single discs though, not double disc sets or box sets.

In addition to the Davis disc they send you in June, you can order 1, 5, 10, 20 additional discs in June, as many as you want, whenever you want. These additional discs are also only $6.99 apiece. These can be any discs in their inventory, single, double disc sets, or box sets.

You create a queue of (single) discs from their inventory that you'd LIKE to have, like this:

1. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

2. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

3. Drew Gress - 7 Black Butterflies

4. Jimmy Smith - Back at the Chicken Shack

They take Disc 1 (Miles Davis) and send it to you in June, and bill your credit card $6.99. The other discs bump up in the queue then, so that Coltrane is Disc 1.

Then in July they take the Coltrane disc and send it to you, and bill your credit card $6.99. The other discs bump up in the queue, so that Gress is Disc 1.

This goes on as long as you are keep an account going with them. You can cancel any time, and you can add and subtract discs from your queue at any time, or re-order them. The queue can only be single discs though, not double disc sets or box sets.

In addition to the Davis disc they send you in June, you can order 1, 5, 10, 20 additional discs in June, as many as you want, whenever you want. These additional discs are also only $6.99 apiece. These can be any discs in their inventory, single, double disc sets, or box sets.

Okay, I understand it know. Thanks for being patient and explaining it to me so clearly. It sounds like a good as long as you keep up with it.

I think this is great!!! I wish there was something like this over here in good old Europe. You are so lucky in the US to have these things. By the way are they "real" company manufactered cd's or do they have the BMG club like numbers and logo on them.

So how does emusic work??? What's the catch???

The only catch is the DLs are 128 kbps, I believe. Which is fine, but some folks shy away because of it. It's a great way to sample a lot of music you might otherwise not for a very good price.

I think this is great!!! I wish there was something like this over here in good old Europe. You are so lucky in the US to have these things. By the way are they "real" company manufactered cd's or do they have the BMG club like numbers and logo on them.

Emusic is available in Europe, I believe. I know it's available in Britain. Bev is a big fan.

Don't know about BMG, but emusic does not sell CDs. That's part of how they keep their prices so low, I imagine.

Edited by papsrus

The only catch is the DLs are 128 kbps, I believe. Which is fine, but some folks shy away because of it. It's a great way to sample a lot of music you might otherwise not for a very good price.

No! Emusic mp3s are much better than 128 kbps. They use VBR encoding and sound very good. Better than itunes imo.

No! Emusic mp3s are much better than 128 kbps. They use VBR encoding and sound very good. Better than itunes imo.

My mistake. I had thought that they were back when I was a subscriber. Perhaps they've upgraded since then.

My mistake. I had thought that they were back when I was a subscriber. Perhaps they've upgraded since then.

Yes, they were at 128 a number of years ago, but they've since upgraded to VBR. Best thing is, if you sign up on your old account you can re-download everything you did back then for free.