Beethoven Piano Concertos

pollock

The Cleveland Orchestra is traditionally one of the "Big 5" American orchestras (along with Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston). Best of the best, and all that.

I see. I had no idea, but then I don't know a damn thing, really, about classical music. I just love Beethoven, particularly the piano concertos.

Thank you for that, Ron.

funny connection - the same guy who told me about the boogie woogie passage (back in, around, 1972) was able to identify the Cleveland Symphony just by listening, with no prompting - I think he said he recognized the brass section - this has always been a mystery to me, as all classical orchestras basically sound alike to my ears -

Thank you for that HG. One question: Cleveland? I mean...nothing against Cleveland, I just wouldn't have ever thought that Cleveland would have, you know...

I was in Cleveland once, maybe that's why I can't imagine anything good coming from there.

Albert Ayler's from Cleveland :rolleyes:

funny connection - the same guy who told me about the boogie woogie passage (back in, around, 1972) was able to identify the Cleveland Symphony just by listening, with no prompting - I think he said he recognized the brass section - this has always been a mystery to me, as all classical orchestras basically sound alike to my ears -

:blink:

kinda like opera - funny fat ladies who sound like Lou Costello -

all the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all all the samall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemee all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemethe same all the same all the samemeall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same allall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all thall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all theall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the sameme same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemee sa the same all the same all the same all the sameme the same the sall the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the samemeame all the same all the same all the sa the same all the same all the same all the sameme

kinda like opera - funny fat ladies who sound like Lou Costello -

all the same all the same all the same all the same the same all the same all the same all the same the same

:rofl:

This reminds me of a comment by a friend, he used it as a title of a tune: Opera, That Bloated Art Form.

Never say that working in the Classical dept at the Princeton Record Exchange for years doesn't make you jaded.

I used to hate opera but have since gained more appreciation for it, much the same way I've developed an appreciation for jazz artists I used to not like (or not "get"). It was one of those things I was required to study in school and I didn't enjoy it at the time. I can say the same thing about Beethoven string quartets- I used to be uninterested, but have since "discovered" much music there that I really like.

Opera- I've heard some really beautifully melodic arias and masterful orchestral writing, and I think it is best experienced live.

I think my biggest gripe has been the painfully slow unfolding of the "plot". Also, I appreciate when the libretto is translated so I can know what the hell is going on.

I'm definitely more of a fan than I used to be, though.

Back to topic:

This is the most stunning new recording of Beethoven Piano Concertos in recent years:

410M6X43YSL._SS500_.jpg

About everybody I have talked to about this was surprised, excited, you name it - back to Beethoven. This is performed like the master himself first heard it. Give it a try, and the world will be changed forever.

I have this set and it sounds great!

Sorry, what is it? I can't make out anything on the tiny picture.

Here's all the info:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?...rm=frooglemusic

Thank you for that HG. One question: Cleveland? I mean...nothing against Cleveland, I just wouldn't have ever thought that Cleveland would have, you know...

I was in Cleveland once, maybe that's why I can't imagine anything good coming from there.

The Cleveland Symphony Orchestra is one of the finest classical orchestras in the United States, particularly under the leadership of conductor George Szell. Never mind the physical city, as far as classical music goes Cleveland is up there with Boston, Philadelphia, and New York.

Edited by BruceH

• 2 years later...