Album Of The Week: Oct. 19-26

I just picked this disc up today and after my first listening I find it to be a bit mellow for my tastes. I think it might be a perfect disc for my Sunday Morning listening when I tend to favor the laid back, relaxing sounds. I'm sure my opinion will change after few more spins.

It will, Jacknife.

I know your tastes pretty well and this cd will grow on you as you keep listening.

I'll echo the comments made about what a relaxing session this is. It's relaxing without being boring; soothing without being anesthetizing! :g

Talkin' About is probably my favorite that these guys did together, but this one is indeed special. And I think the presence of Bobby Hutcherson is what makes it special. He adds some nice color along with his solos.

A great choice indeed! Can't believe we waited so long to nominate conn500! B)

I love this album. Had a buddy in college who had it and got to know it quite well there, then went about 15 years or so without a copy. Then found 2 different LPs in the used bins for under $5 each (in darn good condition, too) within the space of a year. Go figure.

The thing about this side is that the programming works REALLY well as an LP - 4 songs, 2 per side, with the brighter tunes leading off. The more mellow ones follow, so it's a beautiful example of lather, rinse, repeat if you just let one side play over and over and over. Which I have done more than once...

Elvin on "I Wish You Love" is just SO groovin'. You can (and no doubt should) dance to this puppy until the cows come home. If you're smart, you'll lock the gate so they never quite make it.

Bobby's entrance on the title tune is one of those sublime jazz moments where ending, transition, and entry fall into perfect sync, with a flow that as natural and RIGHT as anything can be.

Grant's ideas are flowing like they rarely did. He's taking his time, and all's right with the world.

Larry? Hey it's Larry Young in a zone as both soloist and accompanist. If it was any better, you'd have to die.

I got this on CD, but I still prefer the LP, because all 4 songs at once is almost too much of a good thing. But one side at a time, either side, is as good as music gets for me.