LF: Original Cover Art

Late

If anyone could point me to a scan of the original cover for Alan Shorter's Tes Esat, I'd be most appreciative. I've scoured the internet, but have only found one jpeg about the size of a flea.

Thanks!

p.s.

Feel free to post any other hard-to-find original covers here too. Gokudo's great, but they're fairly slim on more avant offerings.

Biggest pic I could find :

AlanShorterTesEsat.jpg

Feel free to post any other hard-to-find original covers here too. Gokudo's great, but they're fairly slim on more avant offerings.

Laton , I've got loads of seldom-seen cover scans ; if you're looking for something in particular let me know .

I enjoy the themed cover art threads that occasionally pop up around here . One I've thought about starting is one devoted to 10" LP covers that were lost in the transition to the 12" LP . I'd think we have enough cover-hounds knocking about in here to make this a viable thread , yes ?

I enjoy the themed cover art threads that occasionally pop up around here. One I've thought about starting is one devoted to 10" LP covers that were lost in the transition to the 12" LP. I'd think we have enough cover-hounds knocking about in here to make this a viable thread, yes?

Sure, sounds like a good thread to me. Gokudo has a page devoted to 10" covers — some of them are beauties. One of my nerdy hobbies is finding original cover art for my iTunes library — which sometimes entails another nerdy hobby: using my limited PhotoShop skills. (Trivia question: what's the etymology of the word "nerd"? That's right — it's thought to derive from Dr. Seuss himself!)

And thanks for the scan! (Was it you that posted that great Bill Barron Savoy cover a while back?)

And thanks for the scan! (Was it you that posted that great Bill Barron Savoy cover a while back?)

Yep .

Are there any other rare Savoy covers you'd like to see ?

Yusef Lateef - The Dreamer, Jazz And The Sounds Of Nature, Jazz For Thinkers (or whatever that title is).

Yep .

Actually, if you could re-post that Barron cover (for Motivation), that'd be great. I can't think of any other covers off the top of my head right now, but, heck, surprising us with a few rares one would be fun!

Here are two Bud covers that I think don't get seen much ...

post-282-1211733069_thumb.jpg

post-282-1211733095_thumb.jpg

Nice scan — thanks Clifford.

Hey, the Curran uses the same typeface as Mosaic. In fact, if you squint your eyes, that could pass as a Mosaic cover: The Complete Ed Curran Savoy Sessions (1 CD).

I'm guessing that was a Bill Dixon produced session? Now I want to hear the music ...

It would be way cool (yes, "way cool") if the Japanese market put out a box set of Dixon's supervised/produced Savoy sessions, along with any relevant unissued stuff. I've heard the Pozar, and I think that's it, unless the Valdo Williams was one of Dixon's.

Yep .

Actually, if you could re-post that Barron cover (for Motivation), that'd be great. I can't think of any other covers off the top of my head right now, but, heck, surprising us with a few rares one would be fun!

Here are two Bud covers that I think don't get seen much ...

i've the record of bud powell ( on the right ) . I think it's the original. it's some tapes made by the french friend of bud, francis paudras, at home in paris. on this record we can hear francis playing "drums" with 2 brushes and a newspaper. it's one of the most affecting record of bud.

Thanks Chas — great covers. Hmmm, how about the Jack Brokensha or Joseph Scianni on Savoy?

I love that brief period, among all the gospel stuff, where Savoy quietly slipped out those handful of avant-leaning records. Once again, I wish the Japanese market could get to reissuing them, but they're probably too obscure even for that sophisticated market.

I think there's a thread here somewhere on that stuff. Will have to look for it ...

• 5 weeks later...