Intolerable Cruelty

jazzbo

ic_splash_02.jpg

Saw Intolerable Cruelty this afternoon. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Fun, clever, well-acted. Nice date movie, if your date is over thirty . . . :wacko:

I'm looking forward to this. I'm not a big Cohen brothers fan (like some of their movies, loathe others) but I hear that with this one they don't wear their snotty cleverness on their sleeves, but rather put together a movie to entertain non-geeks. And Catherine Zeta-Jones...um...that is...er...hmmm....

SHWINNNG!!

Well both stars are sexy as hell to target audiences. And they use that charisma well. I think you will enjoy the movie; my wife really did. I made the over thirty remark because I noticed that two couples around us just didn't get some of it. . . maybe it's just a fluke. . . maybe not.

This one is on our list, right after Mystic River. As the wife and I dimly remember being 30, hopefully we'll be fine! :g

I must admit, I was never a George Clooney fan at all, until seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou. Now, I'm willing to try anything he's in, as long as it's a comedy! ;) As for Catherine Zeta-Jones, I've barely recovered from Chicago. If I get caught drooling I'll be in trouble, but I figure it's worth the risk...

It's not the best Coen film by any standard ("O Brother" is much better) but I really enjoyed it. It was more like "The Hudsucker Proxy" than "The Big Lebowski" or "O Brother." Its a very funny homage to the Cary Grant/Hepburn and Tracy battle-of-the-sexes screwball comedies of the 40s. Lots of terriffic performances. Clooney is wonderful (I became a fan with "Out of Sight," and I have yet to see a performance I've disliked), Catherine Zeta Jones oozes sex-appeal, Cedric the Entertainer is flat out hilarious ("I'm gonna nail that ass. I'm an ass-nailer."), Billy Bob Thorton plays the actor-playing-a-naive-billionaire to perfection, and Geoffery Rush is perfect in his brief appearence ("Wait a minute! Do we even *have* a swimming pool?!"). As always, the music is great. Who couldn't love a movie that uses Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" over the opening credits. Roger Ebert's review attacked the Coens for refusing to make a feel-good romantic comedy, but what do you expect from the Coen Brothers? Highly recommended.

I must admit, I was never a George Clooney fan at all, until seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou. Now, I'm willing to try anything he's in, as long as it's a comedy! ;)

Try renting Out of Sight, a hellava good movie with lots of great supporting performances. This was the movie were Clooney proved he could be good in the right role (and where he stopped the constant headbobbing and looking down).

It's on my list two, but I do gotta admit, that nothing about this "feels" like a Coen Bros film to me. Or at least, nothing that I can tell anyways. it dosent have their usual cast of characters, and doesn't seem to have their usual sense of irony. So maybe thats good for a a lot of people, but I LOVE Coen Brothers films like Barton Fink, Fargo, Big Lebowski (maybe my favorite film EVER...non-Orson wWells category) and Raising Arizona, and I just cant tell if this will match up. But I could be wrong and love this movie. If it's even half as good as O, Brother, I will be dutifully impressed.

Someone please tell me that Buschemi, Turturro or Goodman are somewhere in this one!!

Someone please tell me that Buschemi, Turturro or Goodman are somewhere in this one!!

They're not, but none of them were in "The Hudsucker Proxy" either.

I knew there was something fishy about that one. It slipped under my radar, but the performances WERE great. Bruce Campbell should be in more of their films!

• 2 weeks later...