Chance of a lifetime...

Polkas bind the community together in central Wisconsin, where I grew up. The older people talk about the various bands in great detail, including the personnel changes and other historical minutiae, much like we talk about jazz. Romy Gosz is the Louis Armstrong of polka trumpet, for example.

A polka dance in a community in which it is valued, is one of the most fun experiences that one can have. A tremendous amount of beer, make that a nearly unbelievable amount of beer, is consumed by all, and the dancing, which takes some skill, gets very wild. The bands are cohesive and swinging. Often the best musicians in the area (in all genres of music) help pay their bills by playing in the leading polka bands on weekends.

If we were to read about a similar scene in some village in Africa, we would probably all fall over each other expressing respect and interest in the ethnic tradition and the indigenous music resulting from it.

Actually, polka is very big in New Jersey

(and it has it's own distinctive style -

much like the "push" style that's popular in Chicago).

Go to Elizabeth, NJ.

Radio shows, festivals, etc...

and the one-and-only Jimmy Sturr

are incredibly popular there.

Sturr's home is in nearby Florida, NY.

and his radio show is broadcast on a half dozen stations in NJ

as well as other states.

Edited by rostasi

Go to Elizabeth, NJ.

as well as other states.

Calling Allen Lowe. I think we've solved your problem.

Polkas bind the community together in central Wisconsin, where I grew up. The older people talk about the various bands in great detail, including the personnel changes and other historical minutiae, much like we talk about jazz. Romy Gosz is the Louis Armstrong of polka trumpet, for example.

A polka dance in a community in which it is valued, is one of the most fun experiences that one can have. A tremendous amount of beer, make that a nearly unbelievable amount of beer, is consumed by all, and the dancing, which takes some skill, gets very wild. The bands are cohesive and swinging. Often the best musicians in the area (in all genres of music) help pay their bills by playing in the leading polka bands on weekends.

If we were to read about a similar scene in some village in Africa, we would probably all fall over each other expressing respect and interest in the ethnic tradition and the indigenous music resulting from it.

You're absolutely right there, HP.

MG

I can get with the beer part. That's about it.

:)

Go to Elizabeth, NJ.

as well as other states.

I've been missing the good life and I didn't even know it. Elizabeth is almost next door. I can see the rooftops, office buildings and water towers when I look out my window.

Now I know why my life is so empty. I've been listening to the wrong kind of radio all these years.

I can get with the beer part. That's about it.

:)

Me too, actually. It would take a lot of beer consumption to make the music somewhat tolerable!

Yup! Go check out the Bayway over on Pulaski sometime!

You lost me. The Pulaski is the Pulaski Skyway aka the Rt1 extension that goes to the Holland Tunnel and NYC.

4 me, the Bayway is the Bayway oil refinery in Linden. Everybody drives past that on the NJ Turnpike - inspiration for Nine Types of Industrial Pollution on Uncle Meat (or so I hear).

Maybe I should be hanging at the nearest Polish Home (club), there's enough of them.

I tend to agree, here.

I tend to agree, here.

Possibly, though I am not so interested in the social scene but the music that eminates from it. And once you to this cultural pillaging and removing from context, I would argue that polka is much simpler music (rhythmically certainly) and just not as interesting. But sure, sometimes I read the lyrics of some amazing piece by Toumani Diabate and I am underwhelmed.