• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CELLULOID DREAMS TO PRODUCE PHILIP K. DICK MASTERPIECE: UBIK

MAY 19, 2008

CANNES, FRANCE - Celluloid Dreams has optioned the film rights to the Philip K. Dick science fiction masterpiece UBIK.

The novel, a searing metaphysical comedy of death and salvation in which the departed give business advice, shop for their next incarnation, and run the continual risk of dying yet again, was dubbed “one of the 100 greatest English language novels” by Time magazine.

Many of Dick’s other works have been successfully adapted for the screen, including Blade Runner, Total Recall, Minority Report and A Scanner Darkly.

The film will be produced by Hengameh Panahi of Celluloid Dreams and Isa Dick Hackett of Electric Shepherd Productions, and is slated for production early 2009.

“We are thrilled to actively participate in adapting UBIK,” said Hackett. “Our dad very much wanted this novel to be reimagined in this way and we are happy to be partnering with Celluloid Dreams, whose overall vision and appreciation of the material is consistent with our own.” Said Isa Dick Hackett of Electric Shepherd Productions.

Philippe Aigle handled the deal on behalf of Celluloid Dreams, Christopher Tricarico represented the Estate of Philip K. Dick and Electric Shepherd Productions in the negotiations.

Celluloid Dreams was founded by its President, Hengameh Panahi in 1993. The organization is a totally independent production company and international sales agent based in Paris and London, specializing in finding, nurturing, promoting and distributing award-winning films created by first class talented directors from all over the world. Recent Celluloid productions include; Garth Jennings’ Son Of Rambow, Michael Haneke’s Funny Games US, and is currently in production with Julie Delpy’s The Countess, Wash Westmoreland and Richard Glatzer’s Hello Darkness and Marco Bellocchio’s Vincere among others.

Electric Shepherd Productions was founded by Laura Leslie and Isa Dick Hackett, daughters of Philip K. Dick. Along with their brother Christopher Dick, the daughters own and manage the Philip K Dick library. Electric Shepherd Productions is credited for its contribution to A Scanner Darkly, and currently consulting on several other projects based on the works of Philip K. Dick, including the Disney/Pixar animated feature based on King Of The Elves. ESP is also producing a Philip K. Dick biopic for HBO Films.

Visit Electric Shepherd Productions Web Site.

Man in the High Castle. At the Jazz Quarter on 20th Ave. in SF there is more often than not a Japanese collector buying original records. Reminds me a lot of the imperialist Japanese at that American guy's store that sells early 20th century and 19th century Americana stuff in that book. To see how many records the average Japanese collector swoops up there, in fact, makes me think the Japanese really did win WWII and are somehow colonizing San Francisco.

On that thought, I read a pretty comprehensive book on the phenomenon of Jazz in Japan a couple months ago, called "Blue Nippon: Authenticating Jazz in Japan," by E. Taylor Atkins.

Late to this party and not exactly sure what to make of the (waning) Hollywood fetish for P.K. Dick... Perhaps the pulp-defined frame of reference of the typical Hollywood denizen, as he aims his eyes towards the stars, sees P.K.D., the critically acclaimed trashmeister, as some sort of validation?

To belatedly answer the original query of this thread, I'll always have a sentimental attachment to the first P.K.D. novel I read as a junior-high-school SF enthusiast, "Eye in the Sky," which was a truly mind-blowing, nuclear-era-Rashoman of a tale for a thirteen-year-old.

To answer the question from a more adult perspective, "Martian Time-Slip," "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch," "The Zap Gun," "Ubik"?

Perhaps "Galactic Pot Healer"? (I kid... Or do I?)

The shrug-inducing "Man in the High Castle" is overrated, I think. (As alternate history, compare this to the marvelous Kevin Brownlow/Andrew Mollo film "It Happened Here," from about the same time.)

I sometimes think that the Robert Crumb comic about Dick will be P.K.D.'s most enduring legacy. But that's wishful thinking. No doubt, the movies will be best remembered. Anybody else see the French adaptation of "Confessions of a Crap Artist"? It was called "Barjo." Not a bad little movie at all. I'd love to see it again.

The shrug-inducing "Man in the High Castle" is overrated, I think. (As alternate history, compare this to the marvelous Kevin Brownlow/Andrew Mollo film "It Happened Here," from about the same time.)

I'll have to check out that film, thanks Kalo.

Don't Hesitate. It's absolutely the best alternate history film (making it, by default, one of the best science fiction films as well).

And one of the best war-related films ever, in my opinion. And not just mine. To whet your appetite, check out the estimable "DVD Savant" Glenn Erickson's take on it:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s100here.html

Available as an Image Entertainment DVD. Perhaps the most amazing thing about this movie was that it was made by teenage amateurs, who have since become respected figures in the world of film.

Addendum: I forgot that the Erickson review linked-to above actually references P.K.D. in its first footnote!

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling Man in the High Castle overrated (though I think I'm about to... :g), and I certainly wouldn't call it "shrug-inducing", but it sure feels more tightly controlled than most of Dick's work. Too tightly perhaps.

What? Too tightly plotted by the I Ching? :unsure:

It's a book that gets better and better when reread (I've read it four times). Some very nice writing, for PKD, in there.

I am (as you probably know) in 100% agreement.

I've long thought that the semi-inexplicable veneration of "Castle" was due to it winning a Hugo. Dick certainly wrote at least a dozen more interesting novels, but a relatively humdrum alternate history novel? The fans go wild!

And, finally, a quiver of interest in "It Happened Here"----way to go Kalo!!! :tup More than I've ever been able to inspire.

(Apparently not enough alternate-history fans frequent the film thread.)

• 1 month later...

After putting it off for years, I've finally completed reading my first Philip K Dick novel, "UBIK". Absolutely loved it. What a mind trip! I'm looking forward to exploring more of his work.

Thanks to jazzbo and the rest of you who contributed to this thread....it played a huge part in pushing me to finally pick up one of his books. I'm so glad I did.

After putting it off for years, I've finally completed reading my first Philip K Dick novel, "UBIK". Absolutely loved it. What a mind trip! I'm looking forward to exploring more of his work.

Thanks to jazzbo and the rest of you who contributed to this thread....it played a huge part in pushing me to finally pick up one of his books. I'm so glad I did.

Great!

I wish you luck in your exploration of Dick. THE WORKS of Dick. Philip, that is. Philip K.