Favorite Philip K. Dick novel?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh Who's Jeter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K._W._Jeter

Kevin Wayne Jeter (born 1950) is an American science fiction and horror author known for his literary writing style, dark themes, and paranoid, unsympathetic characters. He has written novels set in the Star Trek and Star Wars universe, and has written three (to date) sequels to Blade Runner.

Jeter attended college at California State University, Fullerton where he became friends with James P. Blaylock and Tim Powers, and through them, Philip K. Dick. Jeter was actually the inspiration for the character named Kevin in Dick's novel, Valis.[1] Many of Jeter's books focus on the subjective nature of reality in a way that is reminiscent of the works by Dick.

Jeter wrote an early Cyberpunk novel, Dr. Adder, which was enthusiastically recommended by Philip K. Dick. Due to its violent and sexually-provocative content, it took Jeter approximately ten years to find a publisher for it. Jeter is also the first to coin the term "Steampunk,"[2] in a letter to Locus magazine in April 1987, to describe the retro-technology, alternate-history works that he published along with his friends, Blaylock and Powers. Jeter's Steampunk novels were Morlock Night and Infernal Devices.

He currently lives in San Francisco with his wife, Geri.

As well as his own original novels, K. W. Jeter has written a number of authorized novel sequels to the critically acclaimed 1982 motion picture Blade Runner, which was adapted from Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I'm currently reading "Time out of Joint" from 1959. (I have a beat-up, ex-library 1st edition.) I think it's interesting that it's not until 40 or 50 pages that the science fiction themes start to emerge. Was this when he was writing his non-SF novels?

I'm currently reading "Time out of Joint" from 1959. (I have a beat-up, ex-library 1st edition.) I think it's interesting that it's not until 40 or 50 pages that the science fiction themes start to emerge. Was this when he was writing his non-SF novels?

Actually the novel was written about the time PKD decided to stop trying to market mainstream fiction and it and The Man in the High Castle seem a new type of novel for him, one that was less overtly science fiction. I really like this one, though I like them all so factor that in.

David, I don't remember the short story and I know I've read it as I've read all the volumes of the collected stories. Four of us are going out to see the movie tonight. I expect it to be a good movie.

Saw "The Adjustment Bureau" yesterday. Never read the PKD short story it was based on (at least, that I can recall) but I read somewhere that they changed and/or added a lot to the story, which I find easy to believe. Nevertheless, I rather enjoyed the film. It wasn't flawless (what is?) but it moved along nicely, and wasn't completely stupid, which puts it well above average for contemporary films. The ending was a bit weak, but it didn't totally kill what went before.

• 9 months later...

Did anyone else catch the episode on Dick in the series "Prophets of Science Fiction" shown on the Science Channel? It wasn't bad, all things considered.

Also, I saw this book on display at my local Barnes & Noble:

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick

Guess they finally printed the damned thing. Ugh. The '60's have the best PKD for me.

Did anyone else catch the episode on Dick in the series "Prophets of Science Fiction" shown on the Science Channel? It wasn't bad, all things considered.

Also, I saw this book on display at my local Barnes & Noble:

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick

Guess they finally printed the damned thing. Ugh. The '60's have the best PKD for me.

I was a bit disappointed in that broadcast of the "Prophets of Science Fiction" episode. A few inaccuracies, and the actor portraying PKD was pretty hokey imo, as were some of the clothes they draped him in.

I have the Exegesis right in front of me at the moment; I pre-ordered it. It's not complete, it's possibly 85 percent complete. I never expected to see this published, I'm astonished really. I will be dipping into this for years.

Edited by jazzbo

I thought the "Prophets of Science Fiction" episode on Philip K. Dick was damn lame from start to finish. Hardly surprising, as the whole series is, in a word, stupid. But I found the PKD episode particularly objectionable, perhaps because I happen to know more about him than some of the other writers.

I thought the "Prophets of Science Fiction" episode on Philip K. Dick was damn lame from start to finish. Hardly surprising, as the whole series is, in a word, stupid. But I found the PKD episode particularly objectionable, perhaps because I happen to know more about him than some of the other writers.

Yes, thanks for being so outspoken, I was being polite before, but I really share your feelings about the episode and the series.

Thanks for posting this. Dick's delusional state in the '70's brought an end to his writing enjoyable fiction, IMHO. Beginning with Flow My Tears, his work became self-important, turgid, and tiresome. I loved his '60's work the best, followed by the more conventional '50's.

I can't share that opinion. I think the late novels are very good, if not "fun to read." And over the years my very favorite Dick has become the novels he failed to get published at the time, the hoped-for-mainstream novels, with "Mary and the Giant," "Confessions of a Crap Artist" and "The Man Whose Teeth were Al Exactly Alike" being my top three.

I guess my years of studying Gnosticism, the mystery religions, the origins of Christianity and early Christianity has given me a context within which to read the Exegesis and appreciate it differently, because I've really been enjoying my forays into it.

I hear that "The Man in the High Castle" will become a BBC TV mini-series, produced by Ridley Scott. I'm really looking forward to that.

Edited by jazzbo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...