Anchor Sue Simmons drops the F-bomb

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish we had someone like him on one of the New York City news shows. I might start watching the news.

Same here in SF. As is, you can only get anything like that on the fake news shows, like when Douglas Feith recently appeared on The Daily Show.

OK.

So....why is this a problem?

You guys never cussed?

So, do you say fuck in the classroom??? Or to your co-workers???

I actually do.

So you be a sex therapist.

Most of the time, it's my boss who's screwing me.

Other way around would be better. :unsure:

Yeah i know, that's why i curse a lot and am rarely sitting down...

So, do you say fuck in the classroom??? Or to your co-workers???

Yes - though I wasn't a teacher. I did occasionally give lectures to school parties, though, and I'd say what was linguistically appropriate in the circumstances. Sometimes, that would include swearing.

I don't see why people should eschew any part of the whole resources of the language that they have at their command. And particularly if, in doing so, they're simply conforming to authoritative rules. A very good example was in the recent Kieth Olberson rant about Bush. After ten minutes of steadily rising anger, he finished by NOT saying "shut the fuck up" but "shut the hell up". Whatever you think of his politics - and I know you disagree with them, Conrad - Olberson was not addressing children in that broadcast, and I was mightily offended at being addressed as a child at the end, simply because Olberson chickened out.

MG

This is puritanism at its worse, seriously do you think that not hearing curse words make people curse less in real life. Maybe these people think that if it does not exist on tv it does not exist in real life.

Do people use curses as a shortcut to hide their limited vocabulary, fuck yeah !!!

Have you ever thought that the fact they are forbidden or taboo, keeps these words in a way cool and relevant ?

Have you ever thought that the fact they are forbidden or taboo, keeps these words in a way cool and relevant ?

Good point. Not sure whether it's true or not. Some arguments each way, I suspect. Words like "gosh", have lost whatever impact they ever had (except as anachronisms now). But it's forty years since some playwright, I forget who, used "fuck" on British TV, during which period there's been no ban on using the word, in appropriate contexts. But the impact seems undiminished. Maybe 40 years isn't long enough...

MG

Lord knows I probably use the word "fuck" as much as anybody alive, but...

a TV broadcast is coming into your house, it's not part of the family. LTB watches all these "gritty" drama movies where inevitably there's a bunch of motherfuckers shouting FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK at top volume over and over, usually while firing guns or beating people up, and when I hear coming that from another room, I get kinda pissed and want to go in there and slap those punks down and tell them to show some RESPECT in MY house, dammit.

It's just common courtesy, really, nothing more than that. Not a big "moral affront" or anything, just common courtesy and simple respect, neither of which are as common nor as simple as they probably should be.

No, I don't do censorship. I'm just saying that a film is something where you know what you'r getting going in, and although I know all that shit's coming, it still bugs me to have it screamed into my house by outsiders. But that's part of the movie, so ok. Price you gotta pay to be free, and all that.

All I'm saying is although that Ms. Simmons' "slip" was certainly no cause for apoplexy or even mild uneasiness, her apology was in no way inappropriate or cowardly. I think it was an act of graciousness and propriety, and more power to her for that.

This is puritanism at its worse, seriously do you think that not hearing curse words make people curse less in real life. Maybe these people think that if it does not exist on tv it does not exist in real life.

Well of course not! And if they didn't have all this sexual innuendo on TV, the idea of sex would never occur to teenagers!

Do people use curses as a shortcut to hide their limited vocabulary, fuck yeah !!!

I'm reminded of a scene in "The Magic Christian":

Youngman Grand, Esq. (Ringo): Dad, do you think words corrupt?

Sir Guy Grand KG, KC, CBE (Peter Sellers): I don't know, let's try. Agnes?

Dame Agnes Grand: [looks up from the television] Yes?

Sir Guy Grand KG, KC, CBE: Nipple.

Dame Agnes Grand: Shh!

[turns back to the television]

Sir Guy Grand KG, KC, CBE: [watches her a moment] Well, there's no immediate physical change.