Ace Of Cakes

OK to be serious.

My youngest and I have watched the other contest show a few times - I have no idea what it is called - and we both love it. This Ace one only a couple times.

The former takes a group of six designers and a helper or two and they have to turn around a cake in eight hours after a brief interview of the gig they are vying for. Going from base idea to sketches to flushing it out is great entertainment and that you really feel the heat. Watching these sculptures come to life and seeing the deadline that the folks are under is much more appealing than that Iron Chef thing to me. Plus they have to make the cake taste good as that is all part of the deal - which reminds me that I need to look up "ganache".

The Ace is a whole nuther thing. That guy's work load is insane but I don't think he has the chops as much as some of the other independent designers you see on that other show. His cakes are very much a bit more garish and in yer face. But hey, he has a saws-all and knows how to use it. Lo be it for me to be a critic - I'd love that kind of workload and know that I just gotta get in there and do it every day.

I do enjoy cobbling up a good cake for the kiddies birthdays. Last year's was a two betty-crocker box fully dimensional chihuahua terrier mix ... there were a lot of toothpicks holding that puppy together. Not quite the Ace but it was moist!

Yeah, ideal workplace.

That and talented, pretty girls working in shorts all day.

:g

The pretty girls in shorts is not a new phenomenon.

I'd invite you to visit the many mom and pop bakeries in the five burroughs and beyond and you will see what I mean.

Hmmm...sounds like a Food Network series to me!

I mean, if Guy Fieri can do that Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives schtick....

I do enjoy cobbling up a good cake for the kiddies birthdays. Last year's was a two betty-crocker box fully dimensional chihuahua terrier mix ...

With coconut?

nah, our dog is black so I went with the dark fudge icing.

altho during one party when he was a pup I fashioned a tootsie roll with tapered ends and reprimanded the dog before picking it up off the floor and gulping it down. screaming girls all around!

I love Duff! He *does* seem to love the bizarre, but his traditional cakes are fantastic. He's CIA trained, and he apprenticed at the French Laundry so he definitely has the chops.

I think this is exquisite....

elegant_12.jpg

as is this...

perry1.jpg

and this...

trad_29.jpg

I love Duff! He *does* seem to love the bizarre, but his traditional cakes are fantastic. He's CIA trained, and he apprenticed at the French Laundry so he definitely has the chops.

I think this is exquisite....

elegant_12.jpg

as is this...

perry1.jpg

and this...

trad_29.jpg

Does Joe know how you feel about these things? ;)