Ketil Bjornstad and Terje Rypdal - Life in Leipzig

GA Russell

ECM has released an unusual duo album by pianist Ketil Bjornstad and electric guitarist Terje Rypdal called Life in Leipzig. It was recorded live in concert in Leipzig.

Bjornstad sounds like a classical pianist who hasn't moved all the way to jazz yet.

Rypdal is still doing his thing after all these years. I think my first ECM album nearly thirty years ago was a Rypdal album. He still plays long single notes, never chords.

The mix of the two styles is quite startling. The two have been performing together for a while now, so they must enjoy each other's work. I would like to see a concert of theirs, but I'm not sure I would buy a lot of their albums together. They seem to be more interested in creating a work of art together than in playing music people would look forward to hearing often.

I enjoy it, and would recommend it to someone who wants something different to add to his collection.

I would like to see a concert of theirs, but I'm not sure I would buy a lot of their albums together. They seem to be more interested in creating a work of art together than in playing music people would look forward to hearing often.

Man, that's a strange comment!

I'm a long time Rypdal fan, I haven't heard this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Never did hear him in person, I really missed my chance when he was in NYC the last time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...