James Carter - Present Tense

GA Russell

Ghost posted the press release to the new James Carter album Present Tense on another Carter thread here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...34082&st=15

I got a promo of this in the mail yesterday, and I like it so much that I think the CD deserves a thread of its own. Highly recommended.

Every one of the ten songs is palatable. There is one I don't like too much, but the disc is 63 minutes long, so no sweat. A couple of the tunes remind me of Horace Silver. Only three of the songs were written by Carter. It would be a stretch to call the others standards, except Tenderly.

Trumpeter Dwight Adams gets a fair amount of the spotlight.

As the press release states, this is issued on the EmArcy label, which is now part of the "Decca Label Group" of Universal. Does anyone know of a reorganization within Universal? I wonder if the decision makers at Decca are different from those of the Verve Music Group, and whether the creation of the Decca division is a result of a decision to issue more jazz than they have lately (which hasn't been much).

At any rate, this isn't a fancy production, but it does sound lilke major-label care went into it. I guess producer Cuscuna should get some credit for that.

I'll be surprised if Present Tense doesn't get a fair number of votes for Album of the Year in the Readers Polls.

• 1 year later...

I put this aside for a long while. I've listened to a few times over the past few days, and I'm liking it more now than ever.

There is one song I don't like, so maybe I'll burn a copy without it.

I think this was available from Your Music. Those of you who subscribe ought to pick it up!

I like this recording also and need to pull it out again for some more spins.

I got it in a trade with Gokhan, and like it quite a bit, which hasn't often been the case for me with Carter discs in recent years. His best since the initial flurry of DIW's, maybe his best period.