Patrick Sky

Has anybody ever heard of this record?

5153M93V7AL._SS500_.jpg

amazon.com page

Here is what the artist says on the amazon.com web page:

By Patrick Sky (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews

For those of you interested I want you to know that I recorded this album over 30 years ago and in spite of selling thousands, I have never received a penny in royalties. I wish to thank all of my fans that have enjoyed the record over the years. If you decide to purchase it I want you to enjoy it.

However I want you to know that the recording industry are a bunch a of criminals and have been stealing from the artists for a hundred years. This record is a fine example and is the rule and not the exception. This is why I support "Free" download music because, regardless of how much the recording industry complains, they get 99.9% of the money and the artist never gets a fair shake.

All the best,

Patrick Sky

plsky@intrex.net

That's the album with all the politically-incorrect songs, er, correct? I think it was originally released on Adelphi, but I don't remember anything about the label. IIRC, the tapes were floating around for awhile, because Sky couldn't get a label to release it. Guess he predated Howard Stern by a couple of decades.

Pat Sky was part of the folk boomlet in the mid-60's, had a couple of albums on Verve Forecast. One favorite song: "Reality is bad enough, why should I tell the truth?"

Other artists on Verve Forecast: Janis Ian, Richie Havens, The Blues Project, and Sandy Hurvitz (aka Essra Mohawk).

Have his first Vanguard recording, Patrick Sky - enjoyable recording.

A little to add to what's been said:

He produced three Mississippi John Hurt albums on Vanguard; played on at least one Buffy Sainte-Marie Vanguard album.

Had some involvement with Green Linnet Records in the 70's/80's.

For a number of years, I think he's been playing and making Uilleann pipes.

I've never heard the Adelphi album, but it's available - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=1159808 - and the clips sound pretty wild - something to offend anyone/everyone.

Here is what the artist says on the amazon.com web page:

By Patrick Sky (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews

For those of you interested I want you to know that I recorded this album over 30 years ago and in spite of selling thousands, I have never received a penny in royalties. I wish to thank all of my fans that have enjoyed the record over the years. If you decide to purchase it I want you to enjoy it.

However I want you to know that the recording industry are a bunch a of criminals and have been stealing from the artists for a hundred years. This record is a fine example and is the rule and not the exception. This is why I support "Free" download music because, regardless of how much the recording industry complains, they get 99.9% of the money and the artist never gets a fair shake.

All the best,

Patrick Sky

plsky@intrex.net

what mr. sky says about the recording industry really strikes a chord with me.

:excl:

In this case I will.

Adelphi has always been a small independant company. Gene Rosenthal (label owner) is an old acquaintance - known him since the '70s.

I was an Adelphi distributor "back in the day" and can assure you the record was a "turkey". I would guess Adelphi never sold enough copies to pay royalties. They probably lost money on the "advance".

I really hate this "record company = bad guy" vs "musician = fucked" attitude.

In this case I will.

Adelphi has always been a small independant company. Gene Rosenthal (label owner) is an old acquaintance - known him since the '70s.

I was an Adelphi distributor "back in the day" and can assure you the record was a "turkey". I would guess Adelphi never sold enough copies to pay royalties. They probably lost money on the "advance".

I really hate this "record company = bad guy" vs "musician = fucked" attitude.

Thank you, Chuck.

MG