Gene Quill

Guest youmustbe

Gene Quill was one of the hardest swinging alto sax players ever!

Not an easy guy to like. Short, squat, a wise ass...one of the alltime junkies, would shoot up on stage. (Billy Root told me how once when they were in a backing band in Atlantic City for The Supremes, in the middle of a song, Gene started puking into the bell of his horn).

But, all back in the day anecdotes aside, he was a mother as a player! He had that soulful wail in his sound!

Check him out! (I especially love his feature on Johny Richards' 'Ballad Of Tappan Zee on Wide Range record.)

Gene Quill sure could play. He was a very good match to Phil Woods. Also wish he had been given more solo space when he was with the Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band but there was a lot of good soloists in that unit!

Loved his solo on 'Inside Out' in Al Cohn's RCA album 'Mr. Music'. And there are a lot more Quill solos to listen to. Also liked what he was doing in a couple of Dot LPs 'Down Beat Jazz Concert' where the cream of the New York musicians - well, a lot of them - showed up in 1958.

• 3 weeks later...

Among the very few things by Quill I own, there is a very good session he co-led with Dick Sherman recorded for Dawn. I don't know the date, but it might be 1956.

Line up is Quill as, Sherman t, Dick Katz p, Teddy Kotick b, Art Taylor d.

This date (5 tunes, around 20 minutes) was released as the A side of "Jazzville '56". It's currently available from freshsoundrecords.com on a 2CD sampler featuring most of the four Jazzville albums (what's not on this one is some Quinichette stuff included on Quinichette's own Dawn/Blue Moon/Freshsound CD).

Recommended!

ubu

Yeah Quill. . . a burner of a player! I like the recordings resulting from the partnership with Phil Woods for RCA and Weinstock labels. . . . And there's a nice one on Roost with trombones. . . .

And yeah, I dig the Dawn material!

Definitely a Bird-inspired performer!

Edited by jazzbo

Among the very few things by Quill I own, there is a very good session he co-led with Dick Sherman recorded for Dawn. I don't know the date, but it might be 1956.

Line up is Quill as, Sherman t, Dick Katz p, Teddy Kotick b, Art Taylor d.

This date (5 tunes, around 20 minutes) was released as the A side of "Jazzville '56". It's currently available from freshsoundrecords.com on a 2CD sampler featuring most of the four Jazzville albums (what's not on this one is some Quinichette stuff included on Quinichette's own Dawn/Blue Moon/Freshsound CD).

Recommended!

ubu

Quill also plays on several tracks on another Dawn lp "Message From Garcia" led by the seemingly forgotten guitarist Dick Garcia. Great stuff on those Dawn sessions...