Jimmy McGriff's health

Chalupa

Update on McGriff....

I saw the following letter to the editor in one of our local free weekly papers in response to an article on Philly jazz from last week.

Somehow you neglected to mention the legendary organist Jimmy McGriff, a native of Philadelphia whose mother still lives in Germantown.

Jimmy was on top of the charts for more than 30 years, beginning with his cover of “I’ve Got a Woman” in the early ’60s. Jimmy’s CDs are still in demand, as he was a crowd-pleaser at festivals and clubs around the world both with his own quartet and as co-leader with alto great Hank Crawford.

Unfortunately Jimmy has been stricken with MS and no longer sits in front of his Hammond B-3. He now lives in a nursing home in Voorhees, N.J., and keeps in touch with his fans and musical buddies alike.

MAXINE HARVARD

Former manager, Jimmy McGriff

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Seems like I've known this for a while. Think it's been posted on McGriff's website. I think they even mention an address at the nursing home in case you wanted to send a letter.... One of the greatest that'll ever touch the B3.

Here's the page of Jimmy's website with the address.

http://www.jimmymcgriff.com/mcgriff_s_calendar

He refers to a CD having been recorded at Smoke - did it ever come out?

Seems like I've known this for a while. Think it's been posted on McGriff's website. I think they even mention an address at the nursing home in case you wanted to send a letter.... One of the greatest that'll ever touch the B3.

Here's the page of Jimmy's website with the address.

http://www.jimmymcgriff.com/mcgriff_s_calendar

He refers to a CD having been recorded at Smoke - did it ever come out?

Not that I'm aware of. I'd sooner get it from his wife anyway.

MG