Ebay Surprise

Bright Moments

so i bid and won on ebay a used blossom dearie cd called"give him the ooh-la-la. when it came in the mail it had a little sticker sealing it that said "used." imagine my surprise and joy when i opened the cd and found inscribed in black sharpie on the liner notes blossom's autograph!

anybody else have an unexpected experience like this?

not on ebay, but the last time the wife and i went to new orleans i found an autographed copy of "lonesome blvd." by gerry mulligan. when i took it to the counter to pay i asked the store owner, "is that gerry mulligan's autograph?" he looked surprised, and answered, "i guess it is." i quickly paid before he could jack up the price.

A few years back,I found a used copy of the Benny Carter/Phil Woods MusicMasters CD,MY MAN BENNY,MY MAN PHIL. My copy has Sharpie marker autographs over the titles,which made me wonder if they were done as part of the artwork,or if they were actually signed. As far as is known,MusicMasters is out of business. With some guidance on a couple of forums,I found a picture of the CD at Benny's website(it also appears at Amazon,though you have to go through lots of pages to see it). No Sharpie autographs appear,so I suspect my copy was signed by the two players,though I cannot verify authenticity. It doesn't matter,it will never be on ebay or anywhere except in my collection.

Not on EBay either.

When in New York a few years ago, I dropped by one of the antique stores around 23rd Street. In a corner at one of the shops there was a box with some LPs. One dollar each. Nothing interesting except for mint original copies of the RCA 'Lullaby of Birdland' album (don't think it's been reissued since it came out in 1955) and the first Prestige album by Barbara Lea - one of my favorite singers - with a lengthy autograph by Barbara Lea to a male friend on the back cover.

Not on ebay but I picked up an LP in London by Al Grey and Jimmy Forrest called 'Out 'Dere' on their short-lived 'Greyforrest' label. The front is very nicely autographed in charcoal by Al with wording 'This is the last and best of Jimmy Forrest .... Al Grey, Dec 3rd 1980'. There were two copies of this in the store. The one with autograph £4, another one without for the princely sum of £3.

Edited by sidewinder