Early Jazz-Rock In A MOST Unlikely Place...

JSngry

Guest Bill Barton

That's pretty darned :cool:

Who woulda guessed Harry James could pull this off? This sounds uncannily like Don Ellis at points to my ears.

Oh, and yeah, those dancers are a hoot :rofl::bad:

I dug it. Harry had incredilble chops - Buddy had incredible chops - and they're playing the right thing.

I dunno - I was born in 1946 and it seems that I was in the window of opportunity to see and hear a lot of this type of thing on tv when I was growing up. It kind of led me to a concept of everything blending together and a dislike (to a degree and with exceptions) of things that were SO rock that the chops and musicianship were out the window. I viewed it as a rejection by the rock guys of any music they were incapable of playing.

And I didn't like the opposing attitude of rejecting anything rock. Another copout.

It's news to me that Harry James was still on the scene in the 1960's... Good stuff, though!

The early electric piano: always sounds like a party! :)

Who was that on alto sax? He was good.

I caught Harry and his band in the late '70s, on a bill with Frances Wayne. He still sounded great.

she was a beautiful lady and a good singer - in the 1970s Neal Hefti was living in Brookline, Massachusetts; I called him up and went over and met him - he introduced me to Francis Wayne, to whom he was married, and told me that she had finally convinced him, after all the years, to leave Hollywood, as she hated the whole area - sadly, next I read, she was being treated for cancer and died soon afterwards - moral of the story: money isn't everything -

Allow me to call attention to Buddy behind the piano solo. In 1965, he had already figured out how to play "rock" rhythm in a jazz band in a way that swung. All the endless Sons Of Sidewinder weren't barely being thought of yet, not in 1965, it was still new then, and here this cat is, this vet of Dorsey & Shaw & loads of other stuff, doing it right, no questions asked. Kudos!

As far as the altoist, could it be Quinn Davis? I know the bassist is Uncle Fester...ah, excuse me...Red Kelley.

Lord lists the altoists as Joe Riggs and Bill Castell. I'm not familiar with either one.

Does Lord list a location and/or a show name?

And for that matter, who is the pianist?

His name is Jack Perciful (not familiar to me either).

Here's the full entry:

Harry James and His Orchestra : Harry James (tp,arr) Nick Buono, Tom Porello, Fred Koyen, Tony Scodwell (tp) Ray Sims, Joe Cadena (tb) Dave Wheeler (btb) Joe Riggs, Bill Castell (cl,as) Corky Corcoran (ts) Chick Carter (cl,fl,ts,bar) Bob Achilles (cl,bar) Jack Perciful (p) Red Kelly (b) Buddy Rich (d) Cathy Carter (vcl)

Big Band Syndicated Telecast, Chicago, August, 1965

Ciribiribin (hj arr) Swingtime Video 102

Don't be that way (rc arr) Swingtime Video 111

El solo torro (rt arr) Broad Trib 6

Walk on the wild side -, Swingtime Video 111

Come rain or come shine (cc vcl) Swingtime Video 102

That's all Broad Trib 6, Swingtime Video 102

Green onions - -

Caravan (jti arr) - -

Rainbow kiss (nh arr) Swingtime Video 102, 111

Ciribiribin (hj arr) Swingtime Video 111

Shiny stockings (ew arr) Swingtime Video 102

Tuxedo junction (tj arr) Swingtime Video 111

Sunday morning (nh arr) -

I'm beginning to see the light (cc vcl) Swingtime Video 102

Take the "A" train (ew arr) -

Prelude to a kiss Swingtime Video 111

Two o'clock jump (nh arr) -

Wow, so he was musical director, eh? Probably his idea to bring in the electric piano, then...

The more you find out, the more you realize just how deep the history of this music goes, how there's a bunch of people with names that hardly anybody's ever heard of who are not only excellent players, but who also sometimes do something really interesting, out of and/or ahead of the mainstream.

I mean, would anybody expect to see an electric piano on a Harry James gig in 1965? Nah, no way. And yet...there it is. And being played quite nicely at that!

RIP indeed, Mr. Perciful.

Besides Harry and Buddy, only Corky Corcoran (ts), from that band sounds well-known to me... No matter, it is great band, although slightly out of tune section playing from time to time, and all these efforts in early jazz-rock/funk/whatsoever manner are of great importance (to my ears)!

Edited by mmilovan

Wow, so he was musical director, eh? Probably his idea to bring in the electric piano, then...

The more you find out, the more you realize just how deep the history of this music goes, how there's a bunch of people with names that hardly anybody's ever heard of who are not only excellent players, but who also sometimes do something really interesting, out of and/or ahead of the mainstream.

I mean, would anybody expect to see an electric piano on a Harry James gig in 1965? Nah, no way. And yet...there it is. And being played quite nicely at that!

Perhaps Harry James was a big fan of The Jetsons.